The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Onstar App for iPhone and Android Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Pretty soon we'll be able to drive it from our phone like James Bond does in Tomorrow Never Dies....
Pretty soon we'll be able to drive our phones.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Pretty soon we'll be able to drive it from our phone like James Bond does in Tomorrow Never Dies....
That would be cool. If I could get my car to come pick me up at the door on a rainy or cold/snowy day that would be awesome. For now I will have to settle for remote start.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Just wait until this app gets hacked. Crooks won't need crowbars anymore, they'll just push a button on their iphone.

Another thing, why is OnStar jumping leaps from where they are now. I have to say that their current website is very disappointing. It would be nice to have statistical analysis on my driving habits and to be able to graph it all. Mapping my routes would also be useful. Everything that OnStar emails me is already available on the cars onboard computer.

Onstar could be utilized alot better than what GM is currently doing with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Apparently OnStar is looking into implementing access to social networking sites like Facebook. They are also developing 'Voice Texting'. I don't know if its just me, but I feel like pulling my hair out in frustration. I personally don't give a crap about Facebook and whats this thing about texting all the time. Can't we just fricken talk to one and another anymore?

It would be nice for GM to concentrate on vehicle diagnostics and easier accessibility to that info.

Article link: http://donwoodautoblog.com/2010/10/2...tech-features/
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Yeah, let's get an app so you can speak into the phone and it converts it to text, and another one that converts the text into speech.....
Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Mongo-if you have a smart phone you can use an app called "handcent" it's great texting app! You speak to it and it can speak to it. Also tmobile phones with carmode and the geniius button will do the same! I know this is an old thread but...thought id throw it out there! :)
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Founding Member

My HTC EVO came with a talk to text built into it. Doesn't always understand my Texas talk, but most the time it seems to work OK.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM

I have the mytouch 4g...an htc offering with the same feature! Looooooove it...i route it through my cars blue tooth...purrrrrrrfect! Lol
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mongo
Yeah, let's get an app so you can speak into the phone and it converts it to text, and another one that converts the text into speech.....
I have on star in three vehicles and I like the security, don't like the functionality of a lot of features.

For one no bluetooth connectivity so I have to forward my phone to the car. Not the end of the world, but not a one button push either and you have to remember to un forward it when you depart the car, then repeat the process when you return to the car.

Secondly, the On-star web site you log into is kind of a mess. They send you an e-mail with data you already have on your car's display, and a vin number but if you log onto the website you can never find the vin number or a lot of other information without going all around the houses.

Third, on-star doesn't have anything to do with the xm/sirus radio and when your year is up, it takes a good hour to renew your contract with the satellite radio people and they don't have an update record of your vin numbers.

I would think those two companies would find a way to link to each other.

Fourth, the turn by turn is different on each vehicle. On my HHR SS and Impala SS I get a read out on the radio screen what the next turn is, on our Trailblazer SS you don't. On the Impala SS you can use the radio functions to halt and go back to the turn by turn, on the HHR SS you don't, so each are different enough to be kind of a pain.

Now texting seems like a good idea. I'm not a fan of it for general communications, but for instances like when your picking up someone from customs, or from a business meeting, it's invaluable and discreet.

I also don't understand why they can't make it up grade. How hard is it to change a module and make money from that?

You'd think GM would want the money and show that buying a gm car lets you move forward, instead of locking you in place.

The last thing I don't understand about On-star is why you don't get a direct line to a gm trouble shooting center, or diagnostic tech that is more than someone just reading off a report they know nothing about.

Throw a code and give em a call. It's not a lot of help.

I love the security of ON-star and the one button push in an emergency, (and that's the main reason I have it) but the rest of it seems so 1995.

IMO
Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM

I downloaded the app for my Droid X2 and it gives me some info like mileage but the other features don't work...like unlocking the door. It's not compatible I realize...hopefully soon. It's pretty cool.