The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Texting while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM

Last February FIVE girls in a car in Rochester NY died a week after high school graduation when the driver drifted into the oncoming lane and hit a tractor trailer head on because the driver (one of the girls) was texting.

The anguish that was (and is still being) felt by the parents and also the truck driver (even if he's not at fault) can only be understood by someone who has felt it (thank God not me). An unimaginable tragedy that was easily avoidable.

There are many unavoidable ways to get into an accident. The least we can do is to try and stop the avoidable ones.

Last week I was driving to work and a pair of bicyclists were riding abreast on the shoulder of a 55mph 2-lane country road. The woman was drifting partially into the driving lane and then back onto the shoulder. As I carefully passed by her, I noticed she was TEXTING on a phone she was holding on top of the handlebars!!

Sadly, any anti-texting laws will be readily ignored here, as are the laws against cell-phone use (without hands-free). People need to understand that just because there isn't a specific law against something, that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

This video is a must see for all new teenage drivers, since they have grown up with a whole bunch of techno-devices that can act as a distraction during driving.

Steve
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
I know what you are saying, but my thoughts on this is. Its not the governments responsibility to tell me what I have to do to be safe, but it is their job to ticket/stop people for doing stupid things behind the wheel of a car. Just like stopping people for drunkdriving, tailgating, speeding, ect. I think texting while driving falls into this catagory. My biggest thing about haveing to wear a seatbelt is here you dont have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?!
I completely understand your aversion to governmental interference in our daily lives-- I actually agree with you about seat belts and helmets. I mean, where does it end in the pursuit of "safety"? Wouldn't it be even safer if we wore a 6-inch thick flame-resistant, buoyant, foam rubber full body jumpsuit? I rode my Harley for many years without a helmet back in the 70's/80's. But I was young and drawn to risk-taking then. Now, I would literally be scared to ride in a car without a seat belt on. The risk is way too high!
And it's because of the texters!