The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

TOP GEAR "History In The Making"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM

TOP GEAR "History In The Making"

Three hours of special TV coverage did not do the Ray Lambrecht Auction in Pierce Nebraska justice this weekend, as it created more questions than answers for me.

Interesting how the Presale Hoopla portrayed this divestment of accumulation as a time to share these vehicles with others; yet the man never appeared to give a rat's behind about the vehicles themselves, judging by their condition.

I see one of the early 60's wagons is headed just down the road from Speedwagon in Westfield. Thought they might have to perform CPR on Rutledge Wood when he heard the 48 Suburban buyer intended to RestoRod it.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Well I don't know the man, but seeing his daughter being interviewed, she is no youngster..

Perhaps he was not physically able to be there. IDK ?

But agree I was expecting more after the build up of the event.. Glad I saw it anyhow..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Deceased

I "Hoppered" it for some quiet rainy Saturday, even though Rut is a super guy in person....his forced bouncy delivery gives me a migraine.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM

Yea I'm sure at age 96 Ray is now frail.

This is one of those events that will live on for awhile as anytime one of these 496 vehicles enters into discussion the conversation will most likely lead to the auction and the idiosyncrasy of Ray. Then again maybe the buyer's had other motivation for paying what was estimated as 25-30% above true value?

All I know is I'm ready to buy the unauthorized biography...if it comes out in paperback.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM

They interviewed one lady and she said "maybe he planned on taking them with him and that did not happen" so I figured he was deceased.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Ray is 96 years old...GOD Bless him..

& after 50 years of having them rides, maybe he had seen then enough.

Perhaps many of the sales were to old faithful ppl of his Dealership ?

They did interview an Aussie gal who (imo) overpaid for a '57 Bel Air, & asked how she was getting it home..

She quickly replied she hadn't thought about that part yet..

History was made on the History Channel for me that day.. That much I know for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Ray is 96 years old...GOD Bless him..

& after 50 years of having them rides, maybe he had seen then enough.

Perhaps many of the sales were to old faithful ppl of his Dealership ?

They did interview an Aussie gal who (imo) overpaid for a '57 Bel Air, & asked how she was getting it home..

She quickly replied she hadn't thought about that part yet..

History was made on the History Channel for me that day.. That much I know for sure.
Judging by the poor condition of the still untitled new cars among the 496 total vehicles, I'm inclined to think Ray hadn't seen them in years. Kinda sad when the auctioneer had to announce whether the car was officially new or a previously driven trade in.

Only if their pockets were fat enough and gathering from the post sale interviews, I believe there few successful locals.

Hope I'm not being too harsh by saying.... The cute Aussie and many other successful bidders got caught up in the feeding frenzy and once the water clears will discover less value on their portion of the bone carried away that day than previously thought. Guess I'm saying is it likely many of those vehicles would generate a bid near what they commanded if they were placed on any auction venue elsewhere in the immediate future?

As was mentioned during the broadcast, many of those models could be found fully restored elsewhere for less. Is there really that great of a demand for a filthy low milage 'barn find' that will require remaining as such to maintain the value perceived last weekend?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

While I must agree that many bidders certainly seemed caught up in the bidding frenzy.. I think there must be value considered in that a successful bidder would be the first to title their "new car/truck" or what ever they bought.

I also agree that Ray probably had not seen any of his cars in possibly many years..

Perhaps the family could have paid someone to wash up the some on the best.. But then, some bidders like PATINA.... There was plenty of that !!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM

I read somewhere that Ray cared not a bit for cars or trucks. To him it was just a business. You paid his price for a 'for sale' vehicle, or you didn't buy it. I theorize the only reason he stayed in business may have been because of his location - perhaps a bit of a distance to the next dealer?

I'm already seeing instances of Lambrecht vehicles being resold - typically with the 'story' from the flipper that "I was going to restore it but something else came up...." Yeah, sure. And you've got 4 other hulks advertised with the same wording.

Too bad it seems a lot of people got taken up in the Lambrecht frenzy.......