The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Tornado/Storm affected members please check in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Deceased

Exclamation Tornado/Storm affected members please check in.

Well we got a pretty good hammering here around Charlotte last night into this morning, but nothing compared to the folks who've been affected by the terrible tornado outbreaks this week.

If you're a member who has been affected by the storms, or if you know of a member affected by the storms, please check in to let us know you are OK.

To those who have been devastated by the events of the past few days, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Ok here (Thank GOD), even tho we watched a mere 1/4 mile away get shredded by hi straight line winds.. That was the 1st band in daylight.

Hope Others are ok..

Last edited by sleeper; 03-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Deceased

Glad to hear you're OK Billy, we were worried about you. It was one hell of a day, hopefully it'll be the last one for a long time to come.

We're still under a "State of Emergency", don't have to go too far south of here before things are all torn to bits.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike, We just got power back on this eve..But no cable (yet). Only news was by radio. & now online news.

Starting early, not even spring yet . We tried to go into town & grab some grub, to avoid opening the fridge. Power out & all. But many roads were blocked by big trees snapped off (like toothpicks) & down across roadways.
Lot of straight line wind damage, & to the north, south & west of us, twister damage..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Deceased

We were powerless for a good part of last night, no phone, no satellite, just the portable radio on the coffee table.

Its been a bad week all around, lost a good friend suddenly on Wednesday, thought I was dealing with it until at about 4am they started playing Monkees songs. The world knew him as Davy, to me he was David, always a fantastic guy and 66 is too young to go.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

yes, 66 is much too young.. read about that, I was a fan, & liked the 66 GTO monkeymobile. My sister was in love with him..

In my local rural area it has been reported: Storm Battered 48 Homes. & yet only 3 people reported hurt, TIKO.. & No fatatities..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Deceased

No fatalities reported here either, some injuries, they are speculating the two tornados that hit were EF-3's or close to it.

Yeah, David was a super guy, we became friends after I met him in the early 90's while I was working at a lawyer's office up in PA during law school. I remember he told me the "Monkee-Mobile" was fast in a straight line, but after that you'd better pray and hold on tight. Its not happy with the stopping and turning deal, but it sure sounds nice up close.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Glad it blew by you two.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Sam..

Yea, a friend from Charlotte said about same thing.. Good about no deaths either.

Did ya know the #1 monkeymobile had soild rear suspension & a weighted down trunk to pop wheelies... It did have a 6-71 huffer on top..
But the Monkeys said it had too much power. So it was removed & a dummy blower was added to keep the look.

#2 monkeymobile never had a real blower & was used more for PR stuff..

& fwiw: Each of them got stock '66 GTO's for personal use.. Good PR for Pontiac..

Back to OT, hopefully more will be able to post in & hopefully are OK..
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM

My wife's sister and brother in law live in Cleveland Tennessee which is just about 20 miles north of Chattanooga. She said the worst of the storm passed just south of them but some trees in town were lost to the winds.

The place their daughters go for horse riding lessons lost a bunch of trees and most of the shingles on one side of the barn.

The house was unscathed and none of the horses were harmed. Most of the kids who go there for lessons turned out this Saturday morning to help pickup the shingles that were scattered all over the property. The owners didn't want the horses eating any shingles.

My sister in law said they got a whole pickup load of shingles so some must have come from other barns in the area.

A few years ago a tornado hit part of Cleveland just to their east. That time whole buildings were destroyed. When we were down there last fall my brother in law took me through the area. There were a lot of new houses, some still being built, there.

I was a little surprised that there were still a lot of very damaged houses still standing.

Quick Reply: Tornado/Storm affected members please check in.