The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Tornado/Storm affected members please check in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Deceased

Sad to day, but people just have no idea how dangerous trees can be, a "small" branch will kill you deader than dead. I'd love to see some sort of mandatory training for everyone who buys a chainsaw, but could you ever see that happening at a Lowe's or a Home Depot.

Now we're seeing a classic "Knee Jerk" reaction here, all the county schools are having Tornado drills today, they are testing the sirens, and the local TV stations are doing those "What to do when a tornado is near" stories...talk about closing the barn door after the horses have run away...ugh!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Chances are the guys at Lowe's and Home Despot don't know much about chainsaws either...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM

It bothers me that anyone can go into a fairly well stocked hardware store with some money and come out with a chainsaw.

I spent a lot of my younger years cutting 100” sticks for the paper mill. Sometimes the land owner would have the conservation department go through and mark the trees we could cut other times the land owner wanted it to be clear cut.

On a clear cut we called it stumpage.

I learned a lot about cutting trees safely. No one I ever worked with got killed by falling trees, at least while I was working with them. Occasionally someone would get hurt after the trees were down. It was pretty common when cutting limbs on down trees to have the log rotate and knock your saw right out of your hands and knock you down.

One of the guys cut his inner thigh pretty badly when a limb kicked him back. That was his last day on that job. He lived and has continued to cut wood, as far as I know he is still alive and cutting pulp wood. {man that has to have been 30 years ago}

When we would cut pulp wood I spent a lot of my time lopping up the bigger branches into firewood. Once I had a good winters worth of wood stacked at my house, I'd sell this firewood for $20.00 a trailer load. A bit more if you wanted me to unload the trailer. The trailer I had back then was a 6'X8' two wheel utility trailer made from an old model A axle.

Back then $20.00 was a lot of money.