The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Windows 7

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I got a free upgrade to 7 when I bought my Vista run Acer. Most of my third-party programs, like PS, all my files, etc, etc., I was smart enough to put on an external HD only for the fact that I sometimes need to take it outside of my home and I'm just tired to constantly reinstalling everything when i had to restore my system.

I'm just looking forward to being able to make Windows 7 look and feel like XP.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM

I've been running an RC at work for a while now. I really can't find fault with it. If you buy a PC or laptop with Windows 7 on it, take some time to remove all the "crapware" before doing anything else. Do NOT use MS Outlook or MS Office, use Thunderbird for e-mail, and Open Office for text documents and spread sheets. Do NOT run any Symantec or McAfee products. Use AVG, F-Prot, or Kaspersky instead. Doing these things will give you a lot more stability.

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I'm looking at replacing my 8 year old desk top running XP. I was informed that the Photo Shop 6.0 may not work on W7. PS 6.0 cost a big bundle when I bought it.
See if you can find a used upgrade copy of CS2. That should run fine on Windows 7. Another option is to use The GIMP. Its free and is at least as good as PS CS2 in most respects. It even has color management capabilities now. Still no 16 bit support though. Even so, if you decide to go to 7, try and run PS 6. You might be surprised.

A computer geek told me a way that if I bought a dual core processor and got W7 professional, I can set up a program that will emulate XP and run PS6,0.
It does more than emulate, it is actually running XP in what is called a virtual machine. Everyone with a copy of 7 is entitled to download a special fully licensed copy of XP that will run on thier Windows 7 machine.

What a PITA. Bill Gates has a racket creating new operation systems that wont run older versions of software programs.
Sure, and maybe you are also upset because GM didn't provide an 8 track player option for your HHR? I'm not being sarcastic, just providing an analogy. Part of the reason that Windows has had its issues is because they've tried too hard to provide backward compatibility. I spoke with one of the engineers not too long ago at a tech conference, and with 7, they finally made a decision to draw a line to not support so much legacy stuff. That's a good thing. Win7 is very stable and has excellent memory management.

I have Vista on my lap top, and it isn't a favorite.
I didn't care much for Vista myself. But I really like 7. I think they finally "get it".

I saw a neat commercial with the PC guy and Mac guy, with the PC guy going through all the various versions of Windows operating fixing all the problems of the previous versions of Windows. How apropos..
Real neat. At least until they get egg on their face for running it in the first place. Time will tell of course, but MS is a different company since Gates left the helm.

I can run programs, but I don't have a clue how operating systems work.
And why should you worry about it? It should be like buying a car. You don't need to know how it works, only how to drive it.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM

XP mode for Windows 7.....

Info Here -------> http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/win...s-xp-mode.aspx

Cajun / Al
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM

I did a rebuild of my system a couple of months ago. Clean Vista pro install, no prepackaged crap. Came with a free upgrade to 7. But until my other software is compatable, like ANTIVIRUS.....

I'll stick to what I have now....
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The various initial installation of operating systems is something I do once, following installation directions, then I never go back and don't remember how I did it. Usually when I go to see what is there all I see is "gobblegoop" of programs that have extentions of stuff I don't know. It seems that my old XP computer is full of stuff..

At least if I get a new computer and W7 Professional, I'll be able to run some of my older programs. With my PS 6.0, I understand how it works and where all the functions are located on the tool bar. I spent too much time and money taking classes on PS 6.0 to figure it out.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM

My brother was here this weekend and has a new portable with W7. Seems very nice. I am upgrading to a new system shortly just trying to decide which PC supplier. My wife has a Mac and we use Windows at work, honestly lots of different software and no real problems with either our PC's or Mac. Except that I hate my new Lotus Notes.