The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

XM-Sirius Merger ok'd by DOJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 PM

If you have XM, you will be able to get select Sirius stations for $X additional per month.

If you have Sirius, you will be able to get select XM stations for $X additional per month.

If you want a la carte, you have to buy a new radio that has not been created yet (at least officially).
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 AM

I like free FM radio. There are plenty of other things that I can spend my cash on...like mods for the HHR SS. I was never a fan of XM. I didn't like paying for channels that I never ever used and if these Satelite radios gave you options on your personal selections maybe more people might consider getting it. But until they change to a format that gives me what I want, they will still be losing audiences because most don't want to pay for channels they don't listen to.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
I like free FM radio. There are plenty of other things that I can spend my cash on...like mods for the HHR SS. I was never a fan of XM. I didn't like paying for channels that I never ever used and if these Satelite radios gave you options on your personal selections maybe more people might consider getting it. But until they change to a format that gives me what I want, they will still be losing audiences because most don't want to pay for channels they don't listen to.
Too many dead spots in my area to really enjoy XCM. Pull down MAIN Street and every other building kills XM. Drive in the country and \the same thing happens. My wife drives fifty miles to work throuigh varied terrain and the dead spots make her cringe. . We switched to Memopry sticks and play tons of songs jsut fine. If we want talk radio, that';s what FM is for.

Plus The bitrate grates on my nerves at times. . I digitized my entire CD collection and play them in my Kenwood off a memory stick. High bit AACs are good enough for the car and have a bitrate 4 or more times that of XM.

Had the trial XM in the last three cars. Wen it expired, we never looked back. Interesting experiment, but not there yet for us.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Too many dead spots in my area to really enjoy XCM. Pull down MAIN Street and every other building kills XM. Drive in the country and \the same thing happens. My wife drives fifty miles to work throuigh varied terrain and the dead spots make her cringe. . We switched to Memopry sticks and play tons of songs jsut fine. If we want talk radio, that';s what FM is for.

Plus The bitrate grates on my nerves at times. . I digitized my entire CD collection and play them in my Kenwood off a memory stick. High bit AACs are good enough for the car and have a bitrate 4 or more times that of XM.

Had the trial XM in the last three cars. Wen it expired, we never looked back. Interesting experiment, but not there yet for us.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 AM
XXL

Your response echos those of friends who haven't actually tried the service. Have you? For me (YMMV), I haven't purposely tuned to a free station since switching to Sirius 3+ years ago. There is simply NO comparison for content, not hearing some lame-o step all over the songs for his top-of-the-hour nonsense, no commercials trying to sell me stuff I have no interest in, etc.

Also, what you're describing as "format" ... do you mean pricing structure? Much like the Dish network crap I have on my TV at home, I have to pay for the 17 shopping channels and 5 (yes _5_) "Welcome to Dish" and "Tell Congress to stop taxing us" channels... just to get the "good" ones (here, I use "good" loosely as I can't seem to find anything worth watching on my umpteen-bajillion channels-- maybe this is what you've experienced with SAT radio??).