Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

1st Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM

1st Service

Had my 09 LS in today for it's first service. Dealer changed oil and filter, used Quaker State 5W30 Synblend. Did the gearshift indicator recall, and reprogrammed my key fobs, since the one I bought off ebay wasn't programmed yet. Key fob programming and recall free. $32 for the oil and filter change and I am ready to go again.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 AM

I am suprised they programmed the FOB for you for free since you bought it off of ebay but thats awesome.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Smart not to charge for programming the FOBs. A good dealer will keep you coming back.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Dealer Service

My local dealer has a very good service dept, and most importantly a very, very, good service manager. Just wish their sales dept didn't suck. I didn'y get the HHR from them, bought it froma dealer about 30 miles away, but my local dealer is happy to work on it.
Only car I have bought from them is my wife's 08 CTS. Glad I did. With less than 1800 mile son it I was getting water in two cylinders. I let them remove the head and the head and gasket were fine. GM wanted to tear down the motor further but I balked, screamed, yelled, and everything else I could at the local zone rep. My local service manager finally told them that in his opinion the motor could not be repaired. Got a new motor. Cadillac rep asked what I wanted, and I told them new car, new engine, money back. They never talked to me again. Anyway it is very sad to see your brand new car on a lift with the exhaust, motor, tranny, and front end laying on the ground. The local techs did a greast job thouogh and you cannot tell any of the components were every removed. That is why I keep taking all my GM cars to them for warranty work.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
Smart not to charge for programming the FOBs. A good dealer will keep you coming back.
is that why I try not to go to my dealer and dread going...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Angry 1st service problems that I had.

First of all, my dealer is a jack of all trades, dealing in all GM models and Hyundai. For my oil change and tire rotation they had their Hyundai guys do the service. Net result was dinged up wheels, oil life monitor not reset, and tire pressure monitor system not reset. When I pointed out that my drivers' side windshield wiper was hitting the hood whenever I propped it up to clean the windshield, I had to go back to the Chevy side of the house. Then they told me they had to order parts for a TSB on my car. It's been 3 months and no word from them yet. If it weren't for the fact that they are they only show in town, they would never see me and my SS again. Oh, I did bring in my own oil and filter. They charged about $30 for the oil change, since they said they replaced the seal on the drain plug.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 PM

pappa, the 'seal" is an O ring that goes on the drain plug (recommender to be changed every time the plug is removed). I think I paid less that $2 for a half dozen at NAPA. Did they charge you for the oil filter "seal" also? Thats another O ring that comes with the filter.

The wiper hitting the hood is a 2 minute job, pop off the plastic cover at the base of the wiper arm, remove the one nut holding the wiper arm on, remove the wiper arm pulling straight up, reposition the wiper arm slightly higher and replace the arm, put nut back on. Done. Don't know what "parts" they would require.

At least that is on the '06, and unless they are totally different for the SS............
Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Red face Didn't know,

that the drain plug had an o-ring. I'm used to seeing a metal crush gasket on the drain plug. The oil filter had an o-ring on it.
About the TSB, that was for a new stud and clip for the inter-cooler duct at the intake manifold.
Being how I was at the dealership, I wanted them to fix the wiper, I kept forgetting about it.