Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

50k/5year Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM

50k/5year Maintenance

So my HHR has a little over 51k on it and it's now 5 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things I should do to it? I was thinking of draining and refilling what comes out as far as the coolant goes. Or should I flush it? I've heard bad things about flushing the coolant out. Or maybe that was the transmission? The dealer had said last summer that I'd need the tranny flushed and filled at 50k, but the manual says that's only under hard conditions, so I think I might leave it alone. Besides, I'd have to take it in to get done.

Anything else I should look at doing?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Deceased

I'd change the coolant since it is due at five years, or better yet, have the system flushed and refilled with new coolant. Unless you're operating mainly in the city in a lot of stop and go traffic at high temperatures(or towing/using it as a taxi), the trans fluid should make it to the 100,000 mile service interval. The engine air filter is on the 50k service interval so if you haven't changed it already, do that too.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Coolant, adjust back brakes (and check pads and shoes), air filter, (but I believe you've done that at some point so at least check it), cabin filter, alignment check (you already did If I remember correctly), general look over (underneath, get it on a lift) and tire rotation.......

What about brake fluid? anybody know how often a brake fluid flush should happen?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Ok, thanks! I did replace the air filter a few thousand miles ago since I took it all apart, figured I'd throw a new one in since it was cheap enough. Alignment is good cabin filter I checked when I got it out and it looked fine, and I did a crawl under it when I got it out and it checked ok. I guess then the coolant is about all, along with the brake fluid...I had wondered about doing that, but wasn't sure. Maybe when I put new brake pads/rotors on I'll do it then.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Coolant, adjust back brakes (and check pads and shoes), air filter, (but I believe you've done that at some point so at least check it), cabin filter, alignment check (you already did If I remember correctly), general look over (underneath, get it on a lift) and tire rotation.......

What about brake fluid? anybody know how often a brake fluid flush should happen?
THe local dealer here, has a test stick, they use to check the brake fluid. Flushing the brake fluid is not so much tied to a time interval, as how it tests chemically. I just had mine tested yesterday, and its still fine, no need to flush it yet. This in my 2007, so in m case its gone over four years so far, and is still ok.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 PM

How do you flush it? I think all my dad does is use a turkey baster type thing and suck it all out....?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM

With ABS have a reputable shop do the brake fluid, if it needs it. Chemical test sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by urbexHHR
How do you flush it? I think all my dad does is use a turkey baster type thing and suck it all out....?
Well that would only empty the master. You still have all the lines & ABS ? plus wheel calipers, & R brakecylinders.. This is something more involved than using a turkey baster.

And the brake fluid test kits are kinda like pregnancy kits. You dip a strip in fluid, & if it turns a certain color, you will either need a change or not.

But @ 5 yrs old, I would certainly have it done.

I generally do Dot 3 systems at 3 year intervals..Better a bit early than too late.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 AM

You should have a good look at your accessory belt to see how well it is holding up. My HHR is about the same mileage and age as yours and it will need a new belt this summer because it is cracking a lot. I'm going to change it in July and avoid any headaches as a result of the belt breaking.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Good idea!

Quick Reply: 50k/5year Maintenance