Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Brakes and abs question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Krunk
You "should" open the bleeders. Reason being is if you push the fluid back in too fast, you can screw up seals and filters, and if there is crud in the system, it can stir it up and also mess up filters. The system is not serviceable so that means replacement.
Can you tell me where the filters are in the brake system ?
And what seals will be damaged ?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Afaik, the system may not be serviceable. If you have a manual, you should be able to see if it is serviceable and what parts it would need.
http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2012-0001.pdf
Old 03-20-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Can you tell me where the filters are in the brake system ?
And what seals will be damaged ?
Thanks
There are none in that system. We are putting them into the MC reservoir just now on new models, and that is just to keep crud from getting down into the lines. There is nothing within the system.

When I was doing competitive stuff (different vehicle), I bled my brakes a lot. 4-5 times a year. I got speed bleeders and did it myself. However, if you aren't building up racetrack-type temperatures, or dumping cocoa powder into the reservoir, I wouldn't sweat it. If your pedal feel remains good, you are fine.

A vote for "if ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Blue SS
When I asked those questions I wanted to see if that person could give proof positive of what he posted.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
There are none in that system. We are putting them into the MC reservoir just now on new models, and that is just to keep crud from getting down into the lines. There is nothing within the system.

When I was doing competitive stuff (different vehicle), I bled my brakes a lot. 4-5 times a year. I got speed bleeders and did it myself. However, if you aren't building up racetrack-type temperatures, or dumping cocoa powder into the reservoir, I wouldn't sweat it. If your pedal feel remains good, you are fine.

A vote for "if ain't broke, don't fix it."
So are systems are fine not to open bleeder and just push the piston back in ? Or we should clamp the hose off and then open the bleeder and then push the piston back in ? Confused..
Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Administrator

For all intents and purposes , either way.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 PM

Well Cat Man, not sure about your axe, but this info has been around a long time. If you don't care, then don't do it. But I didn't just make it up.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2155122
Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Krunk
Done many brake jobs. No, I don't open the bleeder to retract the piston. And never have damaged the caliper or master cylinder.
The only "filter" I know of is a screen type basket on the top of some master cylinders.
And your quote " if there is crud in the system". The only "crud in the system that I know of is if the brake fluid absorbed moisture and the fluid turned brownish. Then flushing the system is required.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:17 AM

I've done many brake jobs, too. On abs, and non-abs systems. I have always opened the bleeder, and for good reason. Water is heavier than brake fluid, so where do you think it is going to sit? In the calipers, since they are the lowest point of the system. I've rebuilt calipers because people don't bother to bleed their brakes in timely fashions, especially if they live in humid climates. But, you do whatever.

https://books.google.com/books?id=mN...piston&f=false

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...rake-calipers/

https://itstillruns.com/how-to-chang...-12259264.html

But again, you do it how you want. I won't bother with this anymore. I've made my position clear and posted the reasonings behind it.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

I say do whichever way you like. It's your car.

As far as water being heavier than brake fluid. If that's the case, then water would settle to the bottom of the caliper. BUT, the bleeder is on the TOP of the caliper. (although, I always assumed that moisture would mix with brake fluid and didn't separate)
Just saying. Not arguing the facts.
Fwiw. I was in the repair biz years ago. Done literally hundreds of brake jobs. Hardly ever opened a bleeder when replacing pads. I have opened many though if needing to bleed the system.

Quick Reply: Brakes and abs question