Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Cabin air filter

I have replaced my cabin air filter every October since I purchased the car back in 2009, with the good old AC Delco part the last couple have not been carbon filters like the original, I found this K&N Filters product online anybody have one of these in their HHR?

K&N part VF2006 information
Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Deceased

I use these on all of mine Oldblue, they're cheaper and I've got no complaints.

Cabin Air Filter - Fram FreshBreeze (CF10361)

Plus they do a great job at filtering out diesel exhaust, Michelle gets ill from breathing diesel fumes, coughing, sneezing, the works.

Last edited by 843de; 09-02-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
I use these on all of mine Oldblue, they're.cheaper and I've got no complaints.

Cabin Air Filter - Fram FreshBreeze (CF10361)

Plus they do a great job at filtering out diesel exhaust, Michelle gets ill from breathing diesel fumes, coughing, sneezing, the works.
Those are cheaper but the K & N is reusable. I've heard good things about them but I've not tried one yet. I plan to put one in the Kia next time we need to change it.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Deceased

I'd given some serious thought to the K&N's db, but I've had so-so luck over the years with other K&N products like the oil filter element that collapsed on me, and their habit of over oiling their engine air filters.

I hate having to "clean" a new filter straight from the box and then having to re-oil it with the proper amount. The very last air filter I bought from them was so over oiled that the plastic bag/wrapping it was in hadn't prevented the oil from leaking out through the box and then staining the outer box from Amazon "K&N Red".

With my wife's allergies and our son's allergies, I figure the bi-annual cabin filter changes are money well spent, even if it seems wasteful.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I'd given some serious thought to the K&N's db, but I've had so-so luck over the years with other K&N products like the oil filter element that collapsed on me, and their habit of over oiling their engine air filters.

I hate having to "clean" a new filter straight from the box and then having to re-oil it with the proper amount. The very last air filter I bought from them was so over oiled that the plastic bag/wrapping it was in hadn't prevented the oil from leaking out through the box and then staining the outer box from Amazon "K&N Red".

With my wife's allergies and our son's allergies, I figure the bi-annual cabin filter changes are money well spent, even if it seems wasteful.
Hi Mike,

I have always changed mine around 20,000 miles in all vehicles that have had one. Really depends on the environment you drive in.
In the beginning I don't think most people even new it was there, how/when to use it properly or how/when to service it.
In our area it seems as though every body owns a Diesel Truck.
90% of them are Macho Guys with big truck payments.
They could care less about their health and/or the toxic poison fumes.
Some are smoking a Cigar while idling at the Post Office waiting for the wife to grab the mail.
I have used AC exclusively in all my GM vehicles and with good results but Blue has made me question that choice.
It is a quite competitive item amongst many suppliers so AC must feel they have a need to cheapen/cut materials to stay competitive price wise. If so, I do not buy into that thinking. I buy AC because I can depend on the OEM quality. I hate it when they change the game without letting you know.
Now that we have a largely International Economy anything goes.....
I will look and try the Fram product next change. Thanks for the tip.
Only thing is I wish the HHR did not trigger the Air Conditioning when switching to inside air.
Hoping things are getting back to more normal for you and the family.

Silverfox
Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Administrator

My first cabin filter I put in was the Fram product, next changed to the carbon filter AC Delco, then the last two AC Delco's are not carbon filtered any longer, I got the correct GM part number , ordered one and the filter was marked AC Delco and their part Numbrr not the GM part number, so I've decided to give this K&N filter a try, it's priced about the same as I paid for the AC Delco's and it is washable, we run most of the summer with the windows down, but will start using the AC more now and throughout the fall and winter, so I'll just give it a rinse every six months.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Well, I ordered the K&N VF2006 cabin air filter on Wednesday , FedEx left a calling card yesterday at 12:30, then returned today with the package all the way from Riverside California, neat packaging and instructions how to install and the part # for their refresher kit for the recommended service and the decal to warn not to toss out the cabin air filter, so far I like it!
Attached Thumbnails Cabin air filter-image.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
.......with the package all the way from Riverside California...........
They're located right down the hill from us about 12 miles away. They have a huge warehouse/factory complex on Citrus St with a store about 1/2 mile west on La Cadena Dr.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Well I changed it out and wow I'm ready for blizzard weather this winter waay more airflow!! Compared to the AC Delco filter I took out.
I highly recommend the K&N filter and its washable and permanent, so at just $45.00 I'm set till I scrap the HHR which won't be anytime soon!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM

I always thought that the airflow in our HHR was fine but the Kia I plan to put one in could use more airflow.