Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM

I hand wash mine about once a week if it's needed. My dealer is in the processes of installing a soft cloth car wash and I will get as many free washes as I want as long as I leave there dealer logo sticker on my car. I'm gonna try it when it is finished in a few weeks.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM

I hand wash mine Once a week depending on weather. Winter time i use the touchless Car wash also depending on weather.I still live at my Parents untill my Fiancee can find work i'll use the rents water :)
Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Say NO To Car Washes

No carwashes for me!! Soft cloth carwashes are NOT any better. You have no idea what vehicle went thru the wash before you. If it was good and muddy or salty, it's like taking sandpaper to your car when it goes thru. Even touchless washes are no good for your paint. The HARSH chemicals they use to remove the grime also remove wax or polish. If you like using your porter cable and lot's of polish to remove what a quick trip thru the carwash will do to your car, have at it. I don't drive my good car (HHR) in the winter. I find a cheap beater to drive thru the crap for a few months. If you have to, then go at least once a week to the self serve spray wash and get the muck off. The get in the the garage, let it thaw, dry it off the best you can and then wipe it down with a good detailer. I know this is probably overkill for some of you but if you TRULY care about your car you will say NO to carwashes. Good luck!!

goatcheez
Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Once a month I go to a car wash place that washes by hand. Same place every 3 months or sooner for waxing/detail or a mobile detailer. I do this for convenience and it's fast. I finish up at home on the trim and molding. On a daily basis I dust off with a California Duster and when needed a quick detailer spray. I have no choice but to park in the driveway so I cover her for the night so as to avoid the bird crap and tree sap ( tiny speckled dots which are hard to rub out)

Last edited by GRUMPEE; 07-14-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Matt, I have to show off what Blackie looks like with the Tim/ToddUMA method (this is today, cleaned yesterday):
(Also: leveled, swayed, custom TodUma grill)
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 AM

A black SS and working at a steel mill equals a dirty car quick if the wind is blowing right
I have a 5 stall open front garage to park in(if a space is open when i get there) but it's not always a sure thing.

I learned how to wash a black car now, very carefully

When i first got it, i would want it super clean all the time so i did wash it prob too often. Now i kinda spread it out somewhat cuz it can get yuckk'd up quickly no matter how often i do it.
I found if it's not all that dirty, i can go to the do it yerself place , and hit it w/ soap -rinse-then (hopefully)No Spot rinse and drive home and it'll pretty much dry w/out too much crud/water spots left over.

I try to hand wash/detail once a week tho cuz it IS therapeutic like afs9 sez

Have not been to a machine car wash in many years. IMO most all of them are too hard on a vehicle (Watched the hood on my Silverado bow inward and felt/heard the cab roof do the same ,during the blow dry part of a wash so no more) My truck had too many add ons (hood deflector/window shades etc) that i'd be afraid of having them ripped away from the pressure of a machine wash, and the SS has way to much plastic on it to do the same

A unsunny day, or when the sun was going up/down and i have the protection of the red maple tree are the only time i get out the wash bucket n micro fiber towels.:twothumbs
Which after a few more cups of coffee here, i just still might have time /opportunity to do!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by afs9
Matt, I have to show off what Blackie looks like with the Tim/ToddUMA method (this is today, cleaned yesterday):
(Also: leveled, swayed, custom TodUma grill)
¡Esta Muy Bonita!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM

If you take you car to a car wash make sure that it is HAND WASH ONLY and that they use MICRO FIBER TOWLES. I am lucky that there are 2 of this type car washes close by. Not cheap $30.00 No macines, no air blowers all hand done.

See ya down the road
Bud-Harvey
Old 07-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
Matt,
We will have to talk. Todd (uma) and I rarely wash our cars, there is a different way to go without using water. If the car wash has big rollers beating on your car don't do it. I had a 91 aerostar that after 10 years you could see the car wash marks from front to back. I do not go to any car wash anymore.

share the method with us.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 AM

when i bought my car there are dents on either side of the chrome molding with the bowtie on the rear gate. the dealer said it was from carwashes and i saw it on other used hhrs as well, anyone else have this issue?

Quick Reply: Car Washing