Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM

i has clayed my HHR with the one i got in the 5 star shine deluxe kit and i´m very impressioned with the results
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Claying is a great way to clean your HHRs paint, however some may notice a residue after the clay process. I recommend useing a solvent such as automagic brand or any other that is safe to use on your paint. As soon as you are through claying take a damp cloth and pour the solvent on it. Wipe down any surface that you just clayed and rinse with clean water. If you own a white HHR you can go one step further and use a product called duz-all. After rinsing the solvent you would apply duz-all to a damp cloth (not the one with solvent) and wipe over the entire paint, rinse with clean water, dry and wax. My friend is a pro-detailer and I get all my techniques from him in case anybody was wondering. Also for your glass try a fine steel wool.. makes it look like new again...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 PM

fully agree when i'm detailing my customers cars they're like "clay bar so what exactly is that??"

i just tell them to think of it as a magic eraser
Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 AM

I know that Mothers Clay/SS Kits have been on the bueaty isle for a very long time... started using them starting around the late 90s. Needed something to take the bra grime off our town and country. 3M has been on the shelves for a long lone time as well. Now I buy the 3M normally 2 or 3 cans at time $$$. I use show and shine normally to clean with clay, you can get show and shine by the gal online... various brands... all seem to work equally well for claying. sometimes I go 50/50 water and SS. The SS seems to help the clay remove some of the ichy stuff, like tree droppings. SS helps prevent the film mentioned above. If the bar is sticking to the car... add more liquid.

Clay seems to work better when warm and plyable.

Don t let it slip out of your hands... drop it anywhere other than your bathtub and most likely picked up some dirt. then throw it away. ouch

worst story I ever heard... Navy Cheifs assc was doing a car wash... they bought a bundle of shamies. left a staple in one and did over $6000 damage to the paint on a brand new caddy. Because the car dealer was an ex navy chief his dealship repainted the car a cost for the chiefs assc.

a grain of sand in a clay can do the same thing...

I don t let any touch my cars unless they are naked... P sses me off when people lean on my cars at shows.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Krejaton
Many thanks!!!

One question: how often do you do this...each wash? ...each waxing? ...each bird crap?

And about pushing, how do you know how hard is too hard? (Cap, no cracks here, the set up was too easy!)

Hey wait, that's two questions.

run your hand lightly over a horizonal surface... if it feel icky... it is time... if your park near trees, you will find yourself doing it more often.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM

Couple of quick notes on claying:

1 - Rinse the car with the Mr. Clean system or anything that will filter/de-ionize the water to remove the "hardness".

2 - While there are still some wet spots, start claying the surface, using a spray "Detailer" as the lube. The water helps the lube and also ensures the surface is still cool enough to work. If the water all evaporates, rinse again with the de-ionized water, this will cool the surface and provide for lubrication where you spray the detailer.

3 - Knead the clay several times during claying.

4 - If you lose lubrication, don't worry, just get out a clean dry towel and polish off the little clay residual.

I just clayed the SS yesterday and it looks sweet! Once or twice a year is usually enough if you use a carnuba wax every 6 weeks or so.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 PM

I did mine two weeks ago. Then polished, then waxed, then rinsed in cold water to "set" the wax.

Smooth as a .........well, you know what I mean.

...Les
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 PM

I Clayed my SS tonight with a Zaino's Z-18 Claybar . Tomorrow I will Z2 polish it!! The paint is very smooth right now!!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by mobster wagon
I did mine two weeks ago. Then polished, then waxed, then rinsed in cold water to "set" the wax.

Smooth as a .........well, you know what I mean.

...Les
do you use natural or syn wax?

I looked in zymol's catalog a few years ago... they had a wax that came a crystal jar... life time refills... over a $1000 a jar
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up

I did my panel this morning with Mothers clay bar then a coat of wax the paint depth is unreal looks wet!

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR