Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dex Cool

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 PM

New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.
Source: http://www.prestone.com/products/antifreezeCoolant.php
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Banned

But that's only one type.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm, interesting product. But I don't THINK it is AUTHORIZED by GM. It might work o'k, but I think we were referring to other types of coolants and some additives.

But since Prestone is AUTHORIZED BY GM to supply DEX-Cool, why not just use the correct product ....which is farther down the product list?? This way, you stay within warranty requirements and you leave no arguement for GM.

Read this TSB, which is the most recent.....and notice the mileage/time spec.'s. As well as the additive comments (sorry I had to use 4 links, that's the way I received it) and warranty comments.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...2-006D/61.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...2-006D/62.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...2-006D/63.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...2-006D/64.html
Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 PM

Nope, my brother didn't mix it with anything. He had 2 malibus before and had problems with the cooling system. my girlfriend also had a Malibu with cooling problems also. The 3.1's are notorious for intake gasket failures due to the coolant. He hasn't changed the coolant in his 2003 Impala, but it's starting to goo up even though he has only like 43k on it. I've even heard that some GM owners are resorting to having thier systems flushed and replaced with regular green anti-freeze. There are many articles on Dex Cool like this one:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...605230333/1014

I think you will be fine if you have the cooling system flushed every couple of years before it has a chance to start breaking down.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Cobra65...

Really interesting article. And, because of it, I did some additional research and found more information, to support that premise.

But, I still cannot find a shread of evidence to support your statement that GM reduced the mileage spec.'s on the Dex-Cool. In fact, the article in the link you provided states GM increased the life expectancy from 100,000 to 150,000.

In fact, the independent articles support my statement about specific campaigns on specific vehicles. Also, not real sure about this but, the allegations appear to be on selected cast iron block engines.....none are aluminum or alloys (which the HHR has). And, these also might be the engine lines that received the faulty coolant that I spoke of in a previous post.

Two of my family vehicles are on the 5 year limit now and, checking the coolant this morning revealed that liquid consistency is normal. But, they will be flushed and changed within the next week.

I guess we all need to make our own judgement regarding Dex-Cool, but I'm comfortable with it.....probably because I have NEVER experienced any problems in vehicles my family has owned...even when I go back further than 5 years. And also, GM's TSB on Dex-cool is adament in regard to using other than Dex-cool and voiding the radiator/cooling warranty.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM

My sister has a 2000 Saturn and has never had any problems with it. It now has 70k on it, no overheating/cooling issues. I know it is organic based, so it will eventually break down, but I was always told whether you have green or orange to have it flushed every 2 years regardless.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:35 PM

It was not I that stated that GM lowered the mileage spec's on Dex Cool... I was just saying that I've known some people that had problems with it. mostly the 3.1's ..... I just wanted to know if anyone else had problems with it, if GM changed the formula, etc. It may be just certain engines/radiators have problems. My brother has a 3.4 in his Malibu. Maybe the Aluminum blocks are different, I don't know. That's why I was asking. Wasn't trying to be a troll, like I said, I've owned mostly Chryslers so I don't have owner experience with GM's.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

I don't believe any of us have had a problem with DexCool in our HHRs. If someone has they haven't mentioned it yet.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Cobra65....

Sorry about this mix-up. I thought you also were supporting the reduction of mileage/time on Dex-Cool. So, please do not misunderstand and I'm glad you did provide that article. It does make one "stand back" and wonder.

The Dex-Cool, like many other products, is not manufacturered by GM. But, I would bet that GM had some discussion with the supplier in regard to new formulation.

Hey, I don't recall you posting before, so I'll say

Oh, and I had 2 vehicles with the 3.1, both with very high mileage 191,000 and 143,000 respectively, and never had a problem with the coolant (maybe the first doesn't count because it needed a heater core at 100,000 and the coolant would have been changed).

But, you know, testamonials need to be considered "gingerly" unless you have a quantity that is representative of the production out-put. If you have 3,000,000 engines and 400 "problems" (.01%), is that really a defect? Yeah, I guess it is, when I am one of those people with the problem.

Again, because of the interest generated, everyone will need to make their own decision, based on information provided.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Yeah, I don't own an HHR...yet, but am looking to buy one soon. I want a blue one, but not sure if I want to strike a deal for a 2006 or wait and get a 2007. My Intrepid has been awesome, but I am looking for something with a little more utility. I did know 3 people that had the late 90's malibu with the 3.1 that had to have the intake gaskets replaced because of the coolant. Seemed to be a common problem on those models. when the Dex Cool starts to break down, it will start showing up as some brownish sludge on your radiator cap....at least that's what I've seen. Of course there could be other factors as well such as engine and type of driving, and not saying it's just GM's either. Regardless, it is probably still a good idea to get your system flushed periodically no matter what kind of car you drive rather than waiting until 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Dex Cool