Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dexos oil harder and harder to find

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Yea, for y'all but what does Paddy get?
I agree oil is cheaper then replacing the engine!
We all have our rhymes and reasons for what oil we use but the point is
"Keep it clean!" And drive it often!!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM

I was using Mobil 1 too until I discovered the Ultra Platinum. Its like some weird addiction I tell ya! The stuff sells out instantly and the market price swings from 27 dollars to 70 dollars per 5 quart jug! I usually grab my years supply when they are at the normal 27 bucks a pop and watch the price sore after that.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

"Years supply"
That gave me a little chuckle. Reason is , with all this oil talk, I thought I would go look in my record book.
I changed the oil 4000 miles ago. Problem is, it was 16 months ago !!! I really do need to keep track of the time period of my oil changes and not the miles or the OLM.

(Or I need to drive it more. Only put about 9000 miles on it in the last 2 years. Retirement sure has cut down on my driving mileage. )
Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Oh, George, granted you do keep it clean but you don't drive it often! A beautiful SS specimen indeed!!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54 AM

I bet you that the HHR SS will soon be considered a "modern classic"..... Look at all the hype with newer, "sport" models that even GM puts out with nearly the same 2.0 turbo! Gregg my LT is peppy but certainly not an SS. He has "earned his stripes" so to speak . Anywho, yeah, that oil is something else man. I just order four 5 quart jugs for the year and thats it. Although, I drive just under 30,000 miles a year! I am currently playing the OLM game; watching the percentage drop until I just cant resist the urge to change it! I am hoping to see it go down to at least 30% before my head explodes. Going over 5,000 miles on one change is making me cringe but so far so good. After 5K miles the percentage is at 56% :O
Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 PM
JCC

Oil

As the starter of this thread stated, "I send my oil in to get it analyzed." I understand that the out-come was very good and for me, this is the best way to prove/know the point. Also I believe that all the Full Synthetic brands will be very close to the same after being analyzed. Running oil for long times periods like a year is a different matter. There was a good researcher on this site from Calif. (I think) that wrote a good report on the subject after contacting one of the nation's top investigators. It is a good read to look up on this site. I asked this researcher about a general use oil and he said Mobil 1 was a good product. I think if you are changing oil every 6 months OR less and using a full synthetic brand, that there is little different.

I think the oil filter is a different matter and one of more concern. First, I do not think of them as a true filter as they do not take out the larger parts which are wearing the engine/parts out. You need something that will get down to LESS than 5 microns. SOME of the filter companies now make synthetic filter which say they can filter down to a small micron size and last a year OR 15,000 miles. I think this product is of more concern in it's use than the brand of synthetic oil. Again this is one of those subject which is very subjective and everyone has an option and few will ever change. BUT to keep exchanging ideals and showing information from research is the track to be on for the good of us all.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 PM

I get a year out of an oil change...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:21 AM

Went back to the same store and sure enough, Pennzoil ultra platinum has the dexos stamp on it. The 5 quart bottle was on sale ( sort of) Buy it and get a fram filter for $2 more. Only thing is, I wont use a fram filter. But $24.99 for 5 quarts isnt a bad price at all. The Vavoline Max Life is in the car until the next change. I wrote down the mileage this time and will follow the oil percentage on the "dic" to see how it plays out compared to miles driven.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Technical Moderator

Somebody will tell me I'm totally wrong, but my experience is the OLM is based on mileage (about 12,500). Mine has been exactly the same mileage over time. A 2008 and a 2011. Even with significant idling and traffic that translates to 30 miles in 2 hours.

It is fairly hard to find a synthetic or semi-syn oil that is NOT dexos. No 100% dino oil is dexos, it is a syn spec.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Don. I get a little different results regarding the OLM on mine.
I have always changed the oil at 5k miles in my SS. The OLM was always around the 50-55% mark.
Since retiring 2 years ago, my driving has changed to mostly short round trips of 15-20 miles. Currently I have 4k miles on this oil. The OLM is at 46%.

Quick Reply: Dexos oil harder and harder to find