Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Fuel addtives

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 AM

Fuel addtives

i dont know if this is the right spot to post this but do fule addatives actuly help the car rather than do damage to it. i am looking to get better gas mileage!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Rest In Peace

Snake Oil.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 AM

snake oil?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrlover101
snake oil?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=snake%20oil

Comes from the 19th-century American practice of selling cure-all elixirs in traveling medicine shows.
Snake oil salesmen would falsely claim that the potions would cure any ailments. now-a-days it refers to fake products.

"why did you buy that snake oil? it does absolutely nothing!"
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 AM

ahh ic ty
Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 AM

Thumbs up Startron Works

I have been using Startron ever since the Ethanol has been added to the gasoline in our area.
I started using this mainly for the older vehicles I service.I started seeing cars with fuel filters rotting from the inside out.
Then I tried on a few other cars and every person that I have recomended it to has seen a 1-2mpg increase in gas mileage.
It is also much better to use for storing gasoline for long periods of time

here is one review.
"I am a Mercedes Benz Master Guild Mechanic with 20 yrs. experience. I have been very displeased,as have been my customers, with the effects of ethanol on an engines performance and fuel mileage. One of my own vehicles, an Audi A6 Allroad has a 5 valve per cylinder 2.7l twin turbo engine which has never performed to my expectations regardless of how well it was "tuned". I generally don't buy into "miracle claims" of performance improvers. At best a good fuel system/injector cleaner is all I use and recommend. After reading these reviews I thought I might try Startron in my Johnson outboard which had some old fuel in the tank .On my way home I was fueling up the Audi, and I put Startron in it to see what, if any improvement there might be. This stuff is incredible, the car idles better, and has performance as though I increased the turbo boost...a lot. It pulls harder than it ever did in previous 70K miles . The engine runs smooth, more powerfully and I think it's getting better fuel economy, (hard to tell, my foots always in it because it's so much fun to drive now ! ) It's clear that this product does what it claims regarding performance, and I suspect it will help with water contamination issues as well. (but realize folks that if you have a fuel tank half full of water you probably need to drain it). I've told my Mechanic Buddies about this stuff and now they are using it as well. I haven't got around to putting it in the outboard because I used up the bottle on customers and my cars, but I will get more and try it in the boat, where I expect it will do great there also."

Read more: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/s...#ixzz27f1Tf21w
You can draw your own conclusion look around the internet and look at all of the positive reviews.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
you can usually find this at walmart in the boat accesories section.
It really does work I cannot guarantee it adds power as well but it does feel like it but nothing that would be extremely noticable.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Snake Oil.

A&P is right...or just buy some NOS energy drink and put it in your tank
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Fuels today can damage your sending unit too...

Chevron makes a additive to counter act this. Look at how many cars 10 years and older are losing their fuel guage.

Not all are "snake oil".

-Mark
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM

About once a year I'll dump a can of seafoam in the tank to help remove any moisture and to clean the lines an injectors. Might not be needed with today's fuels, but I've also been shown this from one of my vendors.

Never know what is in the tanks at the pump.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1900colt
Chevron makes a additive to counter act this. Look at how many cars 10 years and older are losing their fuel guage.

Not all are "snake oil".

-Mark
what are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Fuel addtives