Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

glue like residue on sunroof glass.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM

glue like residue on sunroof glass.....

Hi all.

Just trying to figure out what is going on.

I noticed a sticky glue like residue on the rearward left part of the sunroof glass. (on the outside). I had to use bug and tar remover to get rid of it. My Wife thinks it might be from when the sunroof is open there is something inside the roof that is transferring to the glass. I can't figure what that might be...

Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks for any insight.

Corey.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM

[IMG][/IMG]Man, so many view and no replies....lol

Maybe you all think I am pulling your legs....well......here is proof.

I took these photos before washing the car this weekend. Clearly you can see that there is a spot on the glass that is contacting something inside the headliner area. When left open long enough, and perhaps in conjuntion with the heat from the black paint job, something is transferring to the glass. Its like residue from sticky tape. It does not break down, but balls up when rubbed. It took serious elbow grease to get the rest off this time with windex and a rag.
I have no idea what it could be. On my other post about the side window trim, I sprayed windex on the glass, then before wiping it off, rolled down the window so the windex would get on the trim, and hopefully clean off whatever is streaking the glass. But the sunroof is a different kind of residue.
Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Thanks.
Corey.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/sho...3&userid=59279

The link to my gallery show the pictures.....thanks.

Last edited by A Crazy Canuck; 10-07-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Tring to add or link photos.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

This might help. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show....php?t=3033%27
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

I think it MIGHT be your headliner Velcro tape.

By your 2 pictures, the adhesive smear is about 1 1/2 wide by maybe 5-6 inches long.
There is Velcro tape placed on the headliner and roof metal near the sunroof. I think the tape has peeled or folded over (one of the 2 components, male and female)and the adhesive is exposed. When opening the window it smears at that location.

If you're handy, you'll need to remove the headliner, which is a bit of a job. Of course, if you do this, you will also see EXACTLY what is causing the probelm....which I suggest anyhow.

Oh, and should I dare say.....your wife may be correct!!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Ya know, on further thought......

Nope don't think that is the cause unless the Velcro I spoke of, completely unattached and then reattached, in another location.

The headliner cannot physically attach to the metal roof in that area. The sunroof window frame is between the headliner and the metal roof. And since you indicated the smear is on the outside, or top of the glass, that's not possible.

Has the headliner been down for any repairs or recalls. Maybe mistakenly, the tech glued a piece of Velcro to the roof when reinstalling and the adhesive to that is causing the problem.

I'm maintaining the thought of adhesive because of your description of the substance. It sounds like the stuff they stick credit cards, and the like, to paper. Kind of like boogers. Otherwise I would think it to be some type of grease to prevent squeaks and ease the mechanical properties of the window. But that would be an easier removal.

Did this transfer of material, just begin?

Anyway, I think almost everyone that had some type of problem BEHIND THE HEADLINER, could not resolve it without removing the headliner.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM

I know that its probably an issue behind the headliner.....but I am not going there right now..lol
We just got this car, and it has 2 declarations on it, and the bigger one was 2200 bucks, which is nothing.....the other was a vandalism. I don't have the insurance report to see exactly what happened. So I don't know if they are related or not, nor when it began.

I guess I will have to wait and see if it goes away, or gets worse.....If something is touching the glass, perhaps it will wear away in time.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Corey.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM

Maybe if there are pics out there of the sunroof assembly before the headliner is put back in, I could see what it might be......google here I come.