Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by solman98
What did they use to install it, a hammer?
The inside came apart, the paper/fiber was sucked out of the filter and it collapsed.

MORAL: You get what you pay for!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM

o0o Lord, Gimme a WIX any day. When I was with Saturn, we would see the very same thing. Sucked in cartridge filters and bearing seizure. Bad deal, dude should go see the place that did his last one and kick some ass.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The inside came apart, the paper/fiber was sucked out of the filter and it collapsed.

MORAL: You get what you pay for!
Fram.......
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Beware of this. I do not know what brand of filter this is but it came from a quick lube service shop. It is stamped "Made In China", so I would be leary of using any stamped this way. This filter took out a $5000 engine in 300 miles. The engine now has a 6 inch hole in the block.

Attachment 2847
Quick Lube = BAD!!!

I don't trust those places at all. It scares me to think some minimum wage high school kid that thinks he's a mechanic because he stuck a type R sticker on his Honda would be working on my vehicle.

2 of my previous vehicles (both bought Used) had cross threaded drain plugs. One of them completely stripped despite being extra careful when I was doing an oil change necessitating a mad dash to the parts store so I could drive my car to work the next morning. I had to find a over sized self threading replacement.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Beware of this. I do not know what brand of filter this is but it came from a quick lube service shop. It is stamped "Made In China", so I would be leary of using any stamped this way. This filter took out a $5000 engine in 300 miles. The engine now has a 6 inch hole in the block.
Holy #$%!

The filter looks like it has metal at the base, or is that the bottom of the oil filter chamber?

AC Delco or Wix for me.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Holy #$%!

The filter looks like it has metal at the base, or is that the bottom of the oil filter chamber?

AC Delco or Wix for me.
The filter came out of a Cadillac SRX.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Jeezus... drive a high end vehicle like a Caddy but chintz out on the oil changes @ an iffy lube joint. Classic, just classic.

Admittedly, I'm a light maintenance geek and enjoy turning wrenches on my vehicles' light maintenance needs, which is why I do all my own oil changes and use quality parts.

In the HHR I use the AC Delco oil filter-- its a re-marked Hengst filter and stamped MADE IN USA. I looked at a WIX filter for the Ecotec and it was stamped MADE IN S KOREA. So I went with the Delco or should I say Hengst. Hengst makes excellent quality filters.

P.S. At first glance I thought that looked like a pork chop bone sticking out of that filter in the pic.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
P.S. At first glance I thought that looked like a pork chop bone sticking out of that filter in the pic.

I thought it was something more feminine, but we won't go there.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by efficiency1
Black Rose, very interesting on the oil quality. Keep us posted on that next sample.
Got the report back this afternoon.

Click the link to see the image of the report.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...PT04192008.jpg
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks Black Rose, very interesting! I may modify my oil change intervals.

Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.