Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

The 32mm "shorty socket" can also be found at most local auto parts stores..(see pic)

Makes like so much easier.. I enjoy doing my own stuff as well..

BTW: Advance Auto carries the AC Delco oil filter cartridges, as came stock in it.. $4.99 Check & make sure it has the Big O-ring included...
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 AM

{Edited Quote}
I definitely need a bigger drain pan that the one I have now. Perhaps one that is 3 feet long a foot wide would do it
That’s just what I have here. I think it was a parts bin at one time in its life but those are the dimensions of what I use. Mine is 9” deep and there are some pretty robust handles formed on each end.

Its what my dad used for most of his life after he got out of the service after the war. It used to be painted olive green but over they years the paint just goes bad and will wash off pretty easily. At first I painted it with more olive drab paint but the last time I took it into work to steam clean it I painted it with a black epoxy paint. That must be 15 years ago now.

As far as getting rid of your used oil.

Until just a few years ago my uncle used it in his modified wood stove to heat his shop in the winter. He took it for free.

Since he died I had to find another place that would take it for free or stop doing my own oil changes so,… I found several folks in the area that are into the bio diesel thing, at first I just gave them all my used oil now one of them has decided to corner the market and actually pays me $5.00 for my full 5 gallon bucket of used oil.

With our cars being newer these days oil changes are not nearly as frequent as they used to be but I still manage to fill a 5 gallon bucket about twice a year.

At least I don’t have to pay to dispose of the stuff. One BP station that still has a service department charges $4.00 a quart to dispose of the stuff. I’m willing to bet he sells it to the bio diesel crowd for a hefty profit.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 02-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 AM

I take my old oil to the local Walmart. No cost for disposal.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Okie Chopper

Ok, how do you re-set the oil life , I don't have my panel here right now my son is driving it, I always wondered how to reset it.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Okie Chopper
Ok, how do you re-set the oil life , I don't have my panel here right now my son is driving it, I always wondered how to reset it.
Complete explanation in the Owners Manual. If you don't have one, you can download it from the website .

But, one of the easiest versions is to turn the key on, without starting, scroll through the DIC to the oil life indicator and THEN PRESS THE GAS PEDAL 3 TIMES WITHIN 5 SECONDS and you will see the percentage change to 100%.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Complete explanation in the Owners Manual. If you don't have one, you can download it from the website .

But, one of the easiest versions is to turn the key on, without starting, scroll through the DIC to the oil life indicator and THEN PRESS THE GAS PEDAL 3 TIMES WITHIN 5 SECONDS and you will see the percentage change to 100%.
That's what I do.. Same as Mopars' proceedure for re-set..
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

I've tried many times to reset it via the manual instructions, but it has never worked for me...so I just use the pedal method.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the DIY , change the oil yesterday.Put in 4 1/2 q at first then added a bit more to get it to the full mark . After starting and waiting a minute or two rechecked it and now with the filter holding some oil the dipstick indicates 1/2 q low .
If I add the extra 1/2 q the stick will indicate it is overfilled when cold checked and the filter drains.
Which is right?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Glad I read this post. Have only had the HHR for a week, so haven't done oil change yet, but I would have been surprised by the oil filter. All my previous oil filter experiences have been the enclosed, screw on unit.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM

My just acquired 2009 has 38,000 km. I'm thinking when I do the oil change, I would use synthetic, such as Mobil 1, as I have done in our 2009 Enclave and 2010 Patriot since new. Thoughts on switching to synthetic after 38,000 km?

Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.