Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Leather Seat Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 AM

The Meguiars stuff worked really well. It Kept my seats looking like new. I don't think I would try anything else...

Ng
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ng8650
The Meguiars stuff worked really well. It Kept my seats looking like new. I don't think I would try anything else...

Ng
Cool-I will get some this week! I don't know where those stains came from and seem to be in an odd place. At least they are faint, but I *know* they are there and it bothers me!

See you Sunday!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

The leather seats are coated with Vinyl. No need to use leather conditioner. Its not getting to the leather.

If you want to know whether you have vinyl coasted leather use a white soapy rage and rub hard between the seat and seat back. If it comes up with dye you have leather with no coating. If it does not you have Vinyl coated leather.

Most cars today have vinyl coated leather and can easily be cleaned until the Vinyl wears off (if it ever does).
Old 04-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for answering Kingfrog, I was hoping you would.

GM Design Lab tells me the seats ARE NOT COATED WITH VINYL.....although some makers may. The easiest way to tell is usually by the appearance. If the leather has a "waxy", glossy shine...they are vinyl coated.

But, depending on the type of conditioner, using it will not be harmful and does help provide a suppleness to the leather, even when it is a "coated" product.

Your suggested "test", is a little erroneous. Well dyed, with a proper coloring product and procedure, will provide the same result as your stated vinyl coating. Cheaply and quickly dyed products usually provide the "bleeding" results (generally on cheapy China knock-offs, but not always).

Thomasville, California Leather, Copenhagen, Flex Steel, Braddington-Young, Broyhill all confirmed this.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Thank you for answering Kingfrog, I was hoping you would.

GM Design Lab tells me the seats ARE NOT COATED WITH VINYL.....although some makers may. The easiest way to tell is usually by the appearance. If the leather has a "waxy", glossy shine...they are vinyl coated.

But, depending on the type of conditioner, using it will not be harmful and does help provide a suppleness to the leather, even when it is a "coated" product.

Your suggested "test", is a little erroneous. Well dyed, with a proper coloring product and procedure, will provide the same result as your stated vinyl coating. Cheaply and quickly dyed products usually provide the "bleeding" results (generally on cheapy China knock-offs, but not always).

Thomasville, California Leather, Copenhagen, Flex Steel, Braddington-Young, Broyhill all confirmed this.
Be careful what you hope for...LOL

Honda motors and the Mercedes C class both use vinyl coated or "clear coated" leather and GM uses real uncoated natural leather? I doubt that no matter what ANY GM employee claims. NO natural leather on the HHR.

What is sold in most cars as leather is actually "treated" or vinyl coated leather - it is NOT natural leather. Those days are long gone (except perhaps for exotics) . Any leather "conditioner" such as Lexol or which has to be be absorbed by the leather will not do much nor do you want to expose the leather under the thin vinyl coating. .

I I would rather use a good UV protector for leather. . Whatever the various car makers use for the "leather treatment", the purpose is the same for all of them and I think we are better off. leather manufacturing has become so ingenious these days it can be difficult to pick the real thing.

A quick test to determine which sort of leather you have at your hand is to use a small amount of cool clean water. If the leather repels it, it's vinyl-coated; if it absorbs the water, it is natural leather. I don't know about your car Snoopy but my cars seats will repel water easily. Thats not to say your seats cannot stain. Vinyl stains as well as any thing. However vinyl only stains when the offending spill is not cleaned immediately. These these cars do not have natural leather seats. Few do. They are treated and Any expensive leather conditioner that needs to be absorbed on these seats is a waste of money.

I am more than sure GM is not using pure leather seating in these cheap cars. You cannot compare the leathers of premium leather furniture makers with seats on a lower end car by an American Automaker!!!!

http://www.articlecity.com/articles/...cle_1912.shtml

Last edited by Kingfrog; 04-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 AM

So I forgot to close my milk container properly this morning and had milk on my passenger seat when I got into work--since it beaded up, I can assume it is the 'treated' leather?

I did use the Maguier's on the seat for the other stains I had--it seemed to have dissipated and is much more faint, but are still there. I just wished I knew what they were and where they came from.

(Milk cleaned up well--no crying about it!)

Duh--just realized Ng I could have talked to you on Sunday about this!

Last edited by afs9; 04-15-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM

I have a couple of stains on my cashmere leather seats...I think they are from my blue jacket that has never been washed...got a rained on and I think some dye may have transferred...I'll try some of the Meggys...not too bad and faint

Goose
Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Asf9, just for grins, try a mr. clean magic eraser. that thing amazes me at the stuff that seems impervious to removal takes care of.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by catzcradle
Asf9, just for grins, try a mr. clean magic eraser. that thing amazes me at the stuff that seems impervious to removal takes care of.

Those things are awesome...took the gold colored stains off of my rims that nothing else would budge...I'm a believer

Goose
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

Cool--thanks Goose & Dorian! Off to Tar-Jay after work! Something I should keep in the laundry-room anyhow!

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Cleaner