Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

My personal system of checking out a Used HHR purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM

My personal system of checking out a Used HHR purchase.

Since I just bought another 2011 1LT a few days back I am in the process of going thru it and checking everything as well as doing all my little fixes and tweaks.

Here is what I do for starters to make sure I get the car up to snuff asap.

1. Change Oil (Dexos 5/30 in 2011's) and oil filter I use (AC)
2. Check and add if neccessary to all other fluids.
3. Add Mix-I-Go concentrated gas treatment by Bell Performance based on directions and fill car with fresh fuel.
3. Check all 4 tires for any irregular wear patterns. Make neccessary changes/repairs as needed.
3. On 16" tires pump air pressures to 34lbs all. Adjust upward to 38lbs on 17" wheels. When car cools down overnight drop air pressures to 30lbs front and rear on 16" and 35lbs. on 17" using a good quality gauge that you will be using again and again for consistancy.
4. Hand re-torque all 4 wheels to 100ft. lbs. using an approved torque pattern. Use care in re-installing plastic wheel covers. Don't overtighten.
5. Test drive to up to if possible 70 mph for any tires balance problems noting at what speeds that an issue shows up, if any.
6. Test drive for any steering abnormalities. Center steering wheel off can indicate a problem. Remember that road crown varies, and that can affect your center steering check.
7. Drive test for any irregular brake problems and if OK then Manually adjust rear brakes. That also adjusts your hand brake position.
If not OK, then get the brake problems fixed Pronto.
8. Check last time Air filter was changed if recorded. Otherwise either take it out and check it or just replace it if in question. I use AC filters.
9. Check and most likely change the Cabin air filter. The car I just bought had a new sticker on the inside of the glove box with a Techs initials and a date that was only 3 months old.
Since I don't trust .. I verify ... I opened up the filter door and took a look. The filter was absolutely filthy. Never changed at all...just a sticker put on to fool the customer and charge them as well.
10. Check wiper blades. Not to many drivers change them when they should. If you don't have too many miles on the car just use OE Trico refills.
OEM Fronts Wiper Blades complete are Trico 18-IHB.
11. Check all lights Interior and Exterior. Front headlights hi/low beam.
Also if headlight adjustment is needed. Drive at night and observe.
12. Check Radio Antenna for tightness.
13. Check cigarette lighter plugs (2) to see if working. 12V tester will do the trick. 1 of mine had a blown fuse.
14. Check all side windows for proper operation.
15. Check all functions on Key Fobs. Battery OK?
16. Check DIC for complete information availability.
17. Check steering wheel radio controls for proper operation.
18. Check radio and CD operation. All speakers firing?
19. All gauges working properly?
20. Check rear wiper and washer operation. ( I pulled the fuse & relay on mine) The switch is located in the wrong place and I am accidently turn it on all the time. Not good to start dry on a dirty grungy window.
21. Take the time to adjust steering column Tilt/wheel and drivers seat properly.
22. Wash and dry all floor mats. Start out clean.
23. Clean inside of windshield if it needs it. If you don't do it now you will most likely keep putting it off.
24. Adjust all rear view mirrors.
25. Remove "rear deck" hatch and make sure everything in the spare tire compartment is in place and secured down so it doesn't rattle.
Check air in compact spare tire ..S/Be 60psi.
Check battery for visual condition or possibly replace it if over 4-5years old and also depending on cars mileage.
26. Check hood for proper adjustment/alignment as these HHR's often come with improper final adjustment.
Here is what I do.
Look at both sides for the hood clearance opening against the front fender. The only adjustment you can do to improve on that gap line is to either bring the front of the hood down, or raise the front up. You first have to determine if there is any room to bring it further down. Look right in the very front and see how close it comes to touching the body at the grill area. Then open the hood and see if there are any traces of paint damage where it has already been touching on the fender. If it needs to come down you can make adjustments on the 2 adjustable rubber stops by screwing them clockwise for down. Each side is separate so it might take a couple tries to get it right.
It is possible that you might also have to loosen and adjust the center male hood latch so the hood closes and holds the hood firm against the rubber bumpers. 3 bolts can be loosened to do this. I place 2 pieces of masking tape on the bracket before moving so I have a reference as to how much I have moved it.
Once you are all thru adjusting your hood, clean off the 6 rubber bumpers under the hood and apply a small amount of NAPA Sil-Glyde lub compound #765-1351 to the contact point of each bumper.
27. Now to the rear Hatch. Use the same Napa lubricant to apply on the bumper locations on each side of the hatch. Clean them off first.
Then lube the rear hatch locking latch at the bottom center of the opening.
Wipe off anything on the deck latch bar and relube with a quailty grease.
It is important where you apply the lube on this lock latch.
When you close the hatch the lock fastens to the vertical upright part of the latch. not on the top part. This lube point is critical in stopping the rear door from creaking.
28. I have also found a way to stop the top dash storage compartment from making all kinds of strange little noises. Its not as easy as most think but
I'll save that for another time unless you contact me for assistance.
29. Then there is the TPMS. Here is what I just did to set air pressures for my tires. I filled them to 34lbs. as noted in #3. Let car cool overnight in garage. Dropped to exactly 30lbs. all around with my trusty gauge? Noted outside morning temperature 52 degrees F. Turned on ignition and checked what the DIC showed for pressures. It showed 32lbs all. Checked tires with gauge one more time to make sure no change. Still 30lbs. on gauge.
So... a descrepancy in the gauge and the TPMS of 2lbs on all tires.
So much for that .... just keep that in mind going forward. Your gauge may be different then mine and so may your tire valves.
My point is.... if you are concerned about your tire air pressures just remember that they are like your blood pressures. They vary depending on external/internal conditions.
All that really matters is that you keep them as close to the recommended pressures listed on your cars door plate with tires cold.
In my opinion you should reset them at least twice a year based on the season. As temps drop and rise outside your tire pressures change too.
If you set them at 100 degrees and leave them there, they will be way off when its below zero.

There are probably other items not mentioned here but this is my guidence list for used HHR purchases and especially not so familiar buyers.
Hope it helps make it easier and better for some of you to properly get on the road.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-06-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Some really good suggestions. But, IMO, many of the suggestions should be done BEFORE you purchase the vehicle, i.e., checking key fobs, tire wear, etc. If done at this point, those items that need correction can be done by the seller OR used as price reducing leverage by the buyer.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Can I bring mine up so you can give it the treatment ?? I'm afraid Whopper will have to change His oil if he reads this
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Some really good suggestions. But, IMO, many of the suggestions should be done BEFORE you purchase the vehicle, i.e., checking key fobs, tire wear, etc. If done at this point, those items that need correction can be done by the seller OR used as price reducing leverage by the buyer.

Again, just my opinion.
Your right snoopy but us pro's already know the drill. Good point though.
This last purchase I made brought out the comment.. we've never had a transaction like this before from the Sales Manager.
My wife was with me and she just smiled.....She's my back up.

SF
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Can I bring mine up so you can give it the treatment ?? I'm afraid Whopper will have to change His oil if he reads this
Thats OK if he changes it ... then all I have to do is check it for him.

I'm with ya Whopper ... I change mine to much too so were gaining on the Naysayers.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Deceased

Mock not Brother Whopper, lest ya draw the ire of "The Brotherhood of The Worn Out Drainplugs".

Excellent checklist SF, very thorough, have you ever had flight training?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Mock not Brother Whopper, lest ya draw the ire of "The Brotherhood of The Worn Out Drainplugs".

Excellent checklist SF, very thorough, have you ever had flight training?
Whoaaaa ..... Forget the Whopper oil change comments.

The closest I've ever come to anything related to aircraft is when I was a kid about 13 years old.
My dad owned 2 Erocoupes if you remember those. Twin tail. He kept them at Boeing Field in Seattle and was always tinkering with them. We used to go trout fishing a lot and he was always looking for new and exciting places to fish. One day he said to me how would you like to take a flight over near the Cascade mountains east of Seattle and we will look around for possible new lakes to access and fish.
Never flying before I said yeah, that sounds fun.
Shortly later we were taxiing on the runway for take off and 20 minutes later we were over the Mountains. I was having fun until his prankster mentality came out and he turned the plane what felt like upside down and then said to me, OK you can take over now ????????
Holy Crap ..I didn't even know which way was up and just froze in the ****pit.
Luckily it was just a momentary thing but I will never forget it.
Therefore .. No.... I have never had the desire to go thru flight training.
I do however really enjoy neat small planes.
Instead I spent 8 years in the US Navy on ships etc.
Maybe thats why I love boats so much.

SF
Old 10-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Deceased

Two Ercoupe 415's, wow!

Well of all the aircraft to give in to his pranksterish side, your Dad couldn't have picked a safer plane. Unless you did something utterly goofy, or pushed them beyond their flight envelopes, the little 415's are so inherently stable as to be classed by the FAA as "Spin Proof".

8 years of Navy life explains your orderly thinking and attention to maintenance. I've been told that there are two ways of doing something, the wrong way, and the Navy way.

Thank you for your service Sir.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Two Ercoupe 415's, wow!

Well of all the aircraft to give in to his pranksterish side, your Dad couldn't have picked a safer plane. Unless you did something utterly goofy, or pushed them beyond their flight envelopes, the little 415's are so inherently stable as to be classed by the FAA as "Spin Proof".

8 years of Navy life explains your orderly thinking and attention to maintenance. I've been told that there are two ways of doing something, the wrong way, and the Navy way.

Thank you for your service Sir.

Your certainly Welcome Mike.
I wasn't drafted, I just decided to go and signed up. An interesting 8 years for sure.

My philosophy has been if you are Taught Wrong you will continue that process "the wrong way" unless you have that Rare thing called "Common Sense" within you.

If you are taught by the Navy you will do it the Navy Way .. Period.
One caviott doing things the Navy Way is you don't have to deal with Job Budgets.......

That Ercoupe flyer sure stirs my wonderful younger year memories.
My Dad was a Great individual and a terrific father.
I have missed both of my parents since there departure.
SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-06-2013 at 08:58 PM.