Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mysterious ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Mysterious ticking noise

I don't know if it just started or if I just noticed. I'm talking about the rpm specific flutter noise. Listening in person it most definitely is coming from the top of the engine.I read through some old forum posts about brand new 2.4 making a noise like this? Is it normal for the 2.4? What the neck is it? I want others to listen and tell me what's wrong or that I am crazy. Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Pinpoint the source of the noise with a long screwdriver (or whatever else is handy) - press the handle into your ear and touch the pointy end to the engine..............
Old 11-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Deceased

Hmmm...I can hear injectors cycling, some cam follower noise, and that's about it.

How many miles on it, and does the noise only appear when it's dead cold, or is it a constant thing?

I had the accessory drive belt tensioner let go on one of my herd, and it rattled like mad before transitioning into a screech.

The long handled screwdriver "Stethoscope" method suggested by whopper works a treat.

One last question, how long since the last service, based on personal experience, these engines get "vocal" on old oil once you're into the 200,000+ mile range.

If you do pinpoint the noise to the front of the engine, the right side as you face it for our new Members, then a sluggish timing chain tensioner becomes a suspect along with a worn timing chain/balance shaft chain.

Obviously, any odd noises from the front of the engine need to be taken very seriously, breaking a timing chain, or having the engine "jump time" equals Game Over for the engine.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM

So the flutter like sound that follows rpm doesn't sound out of the ordinary? The oil in there is 1500 mile old pennzoil ultra platinum. Second change using the oil. I take pretty good care of the car. Other than The flutter noise I have no abnormalities. Great has mileage. Great power and Response. I researched a bit like I said and some very old threads from New 2.4 owners mention a similar noise. It's not a knock or slap. Like a flutter sound if you hear it. More noticable when I rev the engine in the video. Sorry if I am sounding vague.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Constant thing and 191k miles btw
Old 11-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Have you ever replaced the timing chain or the tensioner? If your tensioner has a flat thin head then no you haven't. The one on the right is the new style! Now at your mileage I'd change the whole set out, which I will be doing next week on my 2.2

Name:  imagesCAZ9S83M_zpsa9d2ffa8.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  5.9 KB

I'm also installing one of these in place of the chain guide bolt, I bought the set which included ARP bolts for the other end of the guides

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ecote..._pH9sNlGsqM%3A

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-19-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: House keeping
Old 11-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
If you do pinpoint the noise to the front of the engine, the right side as you face it for our new Members
Just to make it absolutely clear, this is referring to the passenger side of the vehicle. Unless you have a rare vehicle that has been converted to right hand drive.

Great to have you back on the forums, Mike!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Never serviced the chain or tensioner. I've contemplated doing the tensioner but am a bit to scared to as if it isn't released properly I would have to run to a mechanic. I would definitely not trust myself to service the timing chain myself. Does it sound like chain noise? I would expect more of a rattle than that fluttering sound. Right?
Old 11-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Also with that Wouldn't the car run funny or act abnormal?
Old 11-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Administrator

The timing chain is an easy repair, lots of how to videos on YouTube.
You can just simply keep driving it! It's not that noisy and it might just be the injectors and valve train noise, but the TC guides are noted to fail

Quick Reply: Mysterious ticking noise