Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Filter Country of Manufacture

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM

IIRC, the last few AC Delco filters I used were made in Bulgaria. Somebody needs to make sure those middle Europeans have jobs.

I change my oil often enough that I don't think it really matters.

Use good oil.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Share on; no one is preventing you from doing that but from what has been posted so far, people already know what their choices are. Are you trying to imply that being made in the USA makes it better? That may have once been true but nowadays all it seems to do is make an item cost more.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Made in America doesn't really mean much any more. These "American" companies can be (and some are ) owned by a foreign based entity. Just being on U.S soil and employing American workers does not mean it's truly "American made".
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM

90 percent of all K&N filters are USA made.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by vulture07
90 percent of all K&N filters are USA made.
And, as I said earlier:
Originally Posted by db/sb
Are you trying to imply that being made in the USA makes it better? That may have once been true but nowadays all it seems to do is make an item cost more.
Compare the cost of an AC Delco filter to the corresponding K&N.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Donbrew, you're right. These filters are very basic, just filtration media and a plastic skeleton. They probably are all pretty much the same.

But maybe someone makes them here in the USA. At least give us a chance on the crapshoot.

I understand finances can pretty much force us to buy Chinese goods sometimes, but if you can get the same product from the USA, or at least a friendly country, for about the same price, why wouldn't you?

You all are usually very helpful, why now discourage the members here from sharing this information?

Anybody who wants to share, who wants to learn what your choices are, please feel free to chime in.
Discourage? I just asked "why care?".
Do you not buy Mexican? (The HHR is made there).

I was discouraging "racial profiling". Have all the opinions you want.

You can pay whatever you want to pay, right now almost anything made of steel is cheaper from China (20 guesses why), used to be S. Korea, before that Malaysia. Drive by any seaport in North America you will see why. Where do you think recycled cardboard is going? Where do you think recycled plastics are going?

"Buy American" went out of business some years ago when the auto industry moved out (political statement deleted).
Old 01-10-2015, 08:03 PM

some oil filters(that have built in check valves) can be a problem if they leak oil past the valve when the engines off BUT, guess the hhr oil filters dont have check valves..........so, at least that's not part of the deal.....
Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 AM

For what it's worth, I just went and looked at the spare one I have in my garage. My AC-Delco PF457G WAS made in the USA. I prefer to stick with AC-Delco, too, but this does answer a question. I believe I got it at Wal-Mart.

I think the oil itself is most important, followed by the oil change interval and then the filter. I have used the cheapest filters I could find before (in other vehicles), and have never had oil-related problems.

As a manufacturing guy, the price on these is low enough that automation is required. Those machines are going to crank out pretty much the same filter wherever they are made.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Same ACDelco filter and I got it at Walmart. Made in Bulgaria.

Name:  Oil filter.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM

Well... let me know if I need to photograph mine... I have Made in the USA stamped in a similar spot.

However, my point was the sources may vary, but they are not all that different.

Shall we do an Engineering layout? Thought _I_ left that behind...

Back in the day, I could have MADE a supplier do that (did NOT have powertrain components, at all). However, I believe most are meeting specs (at this price/volume). Ecotecs are everywhere. I'm too lazy to photo it, unless someone needs it. Can't say what Wal-Mart does for sourcing - or, is it AC-Delco?

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Country of Manufacture