Outside Air Temperature - Chevy HHR Network

Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Outside Air Temperature

2011 HHR
Some time ago, the outside air temperature on my display stopped showing the air temperature and now just as ---. I've seen various suggestions as I've searched for how to fix it, including replacing the outside air temperature sensor, which I'm told is near the right headlight/fog lamp. However, I've looked in the car's manual and tried searching online for exactly where it is and exactly how to get to it, but haven't found a thing except engine coolant sensors. It's important for me, a Minnesotan, to have a functioning temperature sensor as winter approaches. For those who have had this problem and/or fixed this issue, what are some DIY fixes I could try before taking it to a dealer to have it checked out?
rillegas08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Premium Member

Sensor by the headlight/foglight was just on the older models. Your's being a 2011 it should be just in front of the radiator, center.

Moderator Donbrew will probably come along and confirm this since he's the one that told me about it.
firemangeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Technical Moderator

Between the radiator and the bumper driver side. That thing with a wire clipped to the bumper, it just unplugs from the end of the wire.
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

The OAT for my Corvette quit once. I hunted it down and replaced it. It didn't help. I started checking wires and found one open. I started at the sensor and took it to the firewall connector, the C100 plug, and it was there all the way. I went to the air conditioning module and it disappeared, wiring was fine to the C100 plug. I hooked everything back up and it's worked fine to this day. A little corrosion on that C100 plug. I cleaned all the contacts and added more grease to it.
rhomanski is offline   Reply With Quote