Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

plastic cover on rear doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Back in the day many cars came with them as chrome trim and if not they were add on extras. Old cars took a beating just as much as the HHR does today from stones. Just in the old cars case the fenders were 3 time thicker steel.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM

thanks hyperv6
i have gotten some info on it,,,,,its called a gravel deflector or a chip guard
its suppose to cost around $15 to $20 for both sides and comes in a sheet with directions on how to apply them so there straight ,,,,,,now to find out where to get it ???
Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by BADBOY
thanks hyperv6
i have gotten some info on it,,,,,its called a gravel deflector or a chip guard
its suppose to cost around $15 to $20 for both sides and comes in a sheet with directions on how to apply them so there straight ,,,,,,now to find out where to get it ???
If you want the generic cut it yourself I find many graphics shops carry it. Make sure to buy the 3M brand.

The GM stuff is pre cust and has things on it to help line it up properly.

Just make sure to squeegy it out well.That is the key. Also use a heat gun to seal the edges and not over heat it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM

ok i pick up the film from the dealership,,,,cost of $33 a piece,,, total cost of the 4 pieces was $ 132.00
but i need to protect the paint job so got it and put it on
i feel that they were way over priced ,,,these dealers are nothing less than a big screw job
Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 AM

ok i pick up the film from the dealership,,,,cost of $33 a piece,,, total cost of the 4 pieces was $ 132.00
but i need to protect the paint job so got it and put it on
i feel that they were way over priced ,,,these dealers are nothing less than a big screw job
4 pieces? What two am I missing. I only had two one for each rear door.

I must have been lucky on price as I paid $40 for two.

Either way it is cheaper than getting the doors repainted.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

My 2007 has the plastic shields. Its production date is December 2006, and I believe any manufactured January 2007 and later had the film. THe plastic shield is painted to match the car, and look pretty good, I think. I added mud flaps which really do help.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
4 pieces? What two am I missing. I only had two one for each rear door.

I must have been lucky on price as I paid $40 for two.

Either way it is cheaper than getting the doors repainted.
there are two small pieces that go on the body just below the door maybe about 2 inch by 8 inchs and they cost $33 each the same price as the big pieces on the door,,,,whats wrong with this picture???
4 times as much material and the small pieces are the same price
4 parts at $33 = $132
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 AM

there are two small pieces that go on the body just below the door maybe about 2 inch by 8 inchs and they cost $33 each the same price as the big pieces on the door,,,,whats wrong with this picture???
4 times as much material and the small pieces are the same price
4 parts at $33 = $132
No need to get pissy here. When I bought mine and only got two pieces and only knew of two. I just wondered where the other two went?

I have FX skirts and did not need the two below the door parts and did not miss them or know about them.

Sorry I asked.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
No need to get pissy here. When I bought mine and only got two pieces and only knew of two. I just wondered where the other two went?

I have FX skirts and did not need the two below the door parts and did not miss them or know about them.

Sorry I asked.
not aimed at you,,,,its just that these prices that these dealers charge are uncalled for ,,,,didn"t we bail them out not long ago with our tax dollars ???
my hhr is only 1 yr old and the plastic film faded to a white color ,,,it look horrorable on my black on black car ,,,,at 1 yr old they should of replaced them for me
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Chill man - the pissy-meter did not sound off here at all. Maybe you just read it wrong?

But tis all good - no? :)

Quick Reply: plastic cover on rear doors