Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Recommended Oil Filter for SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
.. and as ar as warrenty, you can us whatever filter u desire
I'm pretty sure that if GM could show that the filter you used caused damage, they aren't covering the repairs. If it was a Delco, they'd have a hard time legally if they refused to cover damage caused by a properly installed OEM item. That being said, a friend of mine recently gave me two K & N PS-7000 oil filters. I'll use them....
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RBodeman
I understand the whole warranty thing and I probably will go with the Delco filter because it is inexpensive compared to the others.

BUT just because a car maker uses a part does not really impress me much. Case in point the really really junky tires on the SS. If the pavement is not bone dry, the traction is almost just about gone.

But thats a discussion for another forum. lol.

I agree with the whole Fram spending too much on advertising and passing the cost onto us. But the inside of the Fram filter looks so superior to the Delco for free flowing oil.
First thing lets get this straight.

First, Just because a filter cost more does not mean it is better.

Second GM has the filters made to their spec and to the spec of the engine.

Third GM backs up the engine with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Fouth There are areas they GM saved money on a car and the tires on most but not all are a good point. But the filter on the engine is one that could cost them a lot of money in warranty isses and reputation if the filter fails to do it's job. In other words GM over the many years seldom has ever cheaped out on filters and the like.

Finally just from you comment here you are judging a filter on looks? This is not going to tell you much unless you know what to look for. Splitfire plugs has a forked electrode too but that does not make the work any better than any other plug. The goverment has even stopped them from making the more power claim.

I work in the performace industry and deal with a lot of filters. I can tell you there are a lot more good ones out there than bad. I also I see people paying a lot of money for filters that are very good but are more than they really need. Also I see cheap ones made by the same company that make the expensive ones under a different name.

The fact is you can not judge a filter on price or just looking at it.

The one for GM is built and made to the spec GM has provided. They built the engine I am sure they understand how much filter is needed better than anyone. GM trust it enought to cover their engines with a long warranty so they show where they stand on its ability.

If you don't want a Delco that is fine but it is a know good baseline unit recomended by the MFG of your engine. If you want to use something else just don't do it because it looks better or cost more.

There is only a handfull of filter companies out there and a few make many of the different name brands. They may add a few pleats here and there but most do about the same job.

I had a count once of all the filters Wix made and it was amazing how many different name brands they produced.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM

I buy my AC filters at advance auto, they are made by Hengths like the OE( 4.99). the AC at walmart are 8.88 and made in Bulgaria
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
Yes, well on the motorcycle forums I frequent frams' more free flowing oil filters are the problem.

They are Not filtering as finely..

Hey Whopper
- time for another oil change !!!
Yeah yeah!!! LOL Actually mine is about due for another change.

Maybe we should have a separate forum section for the OIL/Filter questions? .................. like way down at the bottom of the header page.

And, I am not a fan of Fram either, after I had one of their air filters fail in an Avenger a few years back. And Fram was of little help and sympathy when I raised an issue over it. So xxxx them.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by davidjb
I buy my AC filters at advance auto, they are made by Hengths like the OE( 4.99). the AC at walmart are 8.88 and made in Bulgaria
If no other good came from this thread, I found that AA has the AC Delco for $4.99. I had checked Wally world and they were over $8. I get a 15%discount at my Stealership and they were still about $6- $7.
I just went out and bought a few at AA and they where only $4.62/ea.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidjb

Huh? The Delco filters are made by different companies, depending on the store you buy them in? If so, Im assuming they are all just made to certain specs and then are just boxed as Delcos.

I would have assumed all the Delco filters were made by one company, at least all the filters of the same part number (PF457G).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

AC Delco PF457G. @ Advance Auto $ 4.99 .
The ones I have got (so far) from Adv Auto are Hengst* made in the USA
Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM

The ones I have got (so far) from Adv Auto are Hengst* made in the USA
yep, The AC Delco at AA is Hengst made in the USA only my AA sells them for $4.62

Last edited by esmarkey; 12-30-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added AC Delco = Hengst
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 AM

delco filters here every time 160,000 trouble free miles. and i tow trailers and work it hard
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by panelmoxie
delco filters here every time 160,000 trouble free miles. and i tow trailers and work it hard
160000 miles...that'll probably be a future owner or two down the road for the one we have.

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil Filter for SS