Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Sway Bar Bushings..Should I attempt myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 PM

Sway Bar Bushings..Should I attempt myself?

For those of you who have already changed the bushing on sway bars I would like to get your suggestions on whether I should attempt this on my own..just so you know what I am asking I'll start here.....I'm 61 and live alone, I do have a son (25) who can help if I attempt this, I have congestive heart failure and am suppose to watch my exertion levels , lifting ,pulling, pushing,you get the drift.. also have upper back issues....I don't have a lift to use to do the job ,I'd have to put her on jack stands (guessing you can't do it on ramps) I crawled under her today (while on jack stands) to spray some WD40 on the nuts and bolts, what a tight fit to change those bushings.....they need replacing soon, they feel and look terrible...from what I could see of them . I do wonder what it would cost to have a garage do it for me......I'm pretty sure I can do the link ends?..which I have already purchased......
If there will be a lot of pulling and pushing and struggling to get the bolts/nuts off I'm thinking maybe I should not attempt it if I am stuck doing it myself.
I hate taking vehicles to have repairs done sense I have done most of my vehicle repairs myself for my entire life, and after 8 years as a Jet Engine
(turbo prop) Mech in the Air-force (C-130s) it just kills me to think of having a shop do something I know I could do a few years back.
Thanks , Mike
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 PM
Technical Moderator

With the heart thing, I would avoid it.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Being you would be laying on your back and reaching up to wrench on it, there is a lot of exertion working in an awkward position. So it's probably not advisable.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I would expect a shop should be able to change the bushings as well as the end links within an hour total.

Those end.links can be a bear to replace - they are not just a simple matter of spinning off the nuts. There is not much room to slip a wrench in to hold the ball stud from turning as you undo the nut. Some people have had to cut them off.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:00 AM

Thank you for your replies, yes it looks like it will be to much of a struggle from the descriptions given....I'll look for a shop to do it...
Once again I much appreciate your input in helping with this decision...

Mike
Old 04-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Technical Moderator

I'm with you. 2 years ago at 64 3/4 I became paraplegic. Now I can't even mow my lawn.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Donbrew,

I have little I can say , I have read many of your post that have help me with my HHR, so grateful you are on this forum and giving out needed and welcomed advice, Thank you,
Mike Cossey
Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by kamikaze3557
Thank you for your replies, yes it looks like it will be to much of a struggle from the descriptions given....I'll look for a shop to do it...
Once again I much appreciate your input in helping with this decision...

Mike
Don't know about your local guys, but my Pep Boys does all my work (with parts I supply) and are very reasonable. I think I paid $100 to replace the sway bar end links and bushings.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:13 PM

The nearest pep boys is in little rock ar..bout 90 miles away, but for about $100 it would be worth making an appointment....not sure yet what they charge locally, I'll be checking on that this week, appreciate the suggestion, I did not even know pep boys did anything other than tires...
Mike
Old 04-01-2018, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by kamikaze3557
The nearest pep boys is in little rock ar..bout 90 miles away, but for about $100 it would be worth making an appointment....not sure yet what they charge locally, I'll be checking on that this week, appreciate the suggestion, I did not even know pep boys did anything other than tires...
Mike
They should be able to tell you over the phone a price. But I would be surprised you don't have some folks locally to do it. What about Meineke or Firestone?

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Bushings..Should I attempt myself?