Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Time for better brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Time for better brakes...

Well I've come to decide that the guy that I had do my brakes last time, did it on the cheap, and upcharged me. My dad could do this, but at the time, I didn't want anyone else driving myh car, but me. Greedy sounding I know. But it was still new to me then..

Now I'm getting squeaking from my pads, and I want to swap rotors to ones that don't warp easy. (Drilled?)

I want something along the lines of the rotors you see on performance cars. And pads to match.

Recommendations?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM

I have drilled and slotted rotors from ebc brakes on my truck that I installed myself about 4 years ago. I have not had any problems with them and would recommend them to anyone. I had oreilly auto parts to order them for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Deceased

No complaints with the heavy duty NAPA pads and rotors here Kev, EBC stuff is also good, depends on how your budget is doing this month.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
No complaints with the heavy duty NAPA pads and rotors here Kev, EBC stuff is also good, depends on how your budget is doing this month.
I tried the napa heavy duty rotors and pads. They worked good for 2 weeks and then I had the same problem again just like the original rotors. Napa replaced them with 2 more new heavy duty rotors and pads and again I had the same problem so thats when I went to oreilly auto parts and one of the guys recommended the ebc brand drilled and slotted rotors. I haven't had any problems since then.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 PM

I had a friend recommend Hawk performance.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 PM

If you want looks the EBC drilled rotors are fine.

But if you want the best performaning rotors just save your money and get the solid Bendix. The drilled rotors are only cosmetic. The head of EBC taught me that. He said they only sell them for cosmetic reasons and they make a lot of money for them.

Save on the rotors and put the money were it will do the most good the pads. EBC reds are recomended for good performance and low dust. I also have used the Hawk pads and find them also very good.

The key to good brakes is heat transfer and the better pad material will do that more so than cheaper pads with lower quality materials. Ceramic and kevelar are the two best materials out now. Avoid anything with metal fillers. Also the solid rotors will absorb more heat than any drilled rotor.

The slotted will help clean the pad and do serve a function but most street driven cars really do not see the benefit since there is little loose rubber on the streets like on race tracks.

The cheaper pads like NAPA are fine for average driving but if you are hard on brakes I would only recomend the better pads.

Just make sure to seat them in as recomended. Fail to do this you will have issues later on. This is where so many people have issues as even mechanics today don't seat the pads as often as they should.

Note the EBC pads have a coating that help seat them in on them that wears off after a couple days.

What was once true for brakes in the past does not apply to todays brakes and materials are much better as are most of the systems out there today. Many cars have rotors today larger than wheels in the past. Things have really changed alot.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

How's yer back brakes ??

BTW: I think I would trust yer dad more than 'the guy'............
Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Back brakes are fine. Drum is good.

I am a bit hard on the brakes as I have been known to be a bit of a fast and furious type driver when there's not a lot of traffic around..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

& are they properly adjusted ?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Yes. It's the rotors.. I hear the warped rotor when I apply the front brake..

Quick Reply: Time for better brakes...