Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Trans flush completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up Trans flush completed

Hello all, kinda new here. I completed a full tranny flush last week on my 2009 hhr, 2.2 LS. I have a WYNN'S trans- flush machine and have done probably 30 or so flushes on various cars and trucks . It's kinda my third job; being an Amsoil dealer. Anyway, I put the car up on ramps and then jacked up the back and put on jack-stands, to level it. I "broke" into the cooler lines at the top right side of the radiator/trans cooler, that would be facing the car. I hooked up the machine to put " in line" of the fluid flow. Neat feature of the machine is , it doesn't matter which line or flow of fluid, the machine senses that and adjusts automatically. BTW, the car just turned 68K. I bought it used in Sept. of 09, with 6600 on it.
I put 14 qts. of Amsoil ATF, low viscosity,( like dextron VI) fluid into the machine, and fired up the car to check for leaks and to warm up the oil a little. All looked good and I hit the "Flush" button on the machine. *** as a side note; these machines don't forcefully flush the fluid out. My machine has two pumps which are linked together, one for in-flow of new oil, and the other for out-flow of used oil, all driven by the pressure generated from the torque converter. So, essentially, the out-flow pump drives the in-flow pump and the fluid is "Exchanged" at an equal rate, not really flushed.
The pressure guage showed about 45 psi during the "flush" process.took about 10-15 min. and that part was done. I did take a sample of old oil into a clear glass jar, just to look at it. It was definetly dark, but not "smelly" in any way. Although I do oil analysis, i think i'll save the $25.
Next is the "fun" part. I unhooked the machine and returned the disconnected line back to the rad./cooler. then, it's under we go!! I slowly started loosening all the pan bolts, and carefully recover all the fluid coming out; got to save it, it's new!! Removed pan and gasket, carefully removed the filter, and replaced with a new Wix, and went on to examine the gasket and pan magnet. Gasket looked good, and it's reuseable. magnet had a layer of "metal cream" (best way to describe it) . To me, @ 68k. looked ok. I've seen some really heavy build up on some vehicles, with much less mileage. Cleaned up pan/gasket sealing area on both the pan and bottom of tranny and reinstalled pan and gasket. Poured the "captured" oil back into the tranny, and then located the "oil level plug". ( i can't believe this is how you check the oil level!! cheap Bas%#!@&^ds!!!) Started car, pulled plug , and had to add about 1/2-3/4 qt till the fluid ran out of the case hole. reinstalled plug, and walla! all done!! I know very few folks have a flush machine, but my opinion on dropping the pan and only doing that amount,( 7 qts.?) as a "service" is like only emptying half the bath water out before your bath!!!!! only my opinion! hope this was insightful. Definetly drives better and seems to shift "tighter".
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Great write up very interesting read! never knew how the whole process was done.. Thanks