Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission service??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Question Transmission service??

Okay guys I know there are various posts on how to change your transmission fluid. I have 74,000 on the HHR and live in a fairly dusty environment, so I think it's time. I could do it myself but really don't want to, and I really want the documentation of the service for later records.

So my question is, What are some opinions on the change. It seems I have read many times were people develop transmission problems after a service. I plan on taking it to a dealer as there are no smaller shops I can trust in my area. What should I know before taking it in and any other info that I may need to know. This is my third car and the first I have ever worried about a tranny service. Both my others had high mileage and I really didn't care.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

I guess the only thing is to have faith.

You'll more than likely talk with a Service Adviser/Writer. Everything you ask him he may just acknowledge......really not knowing what the specific service requires.

If you could talk with the Tech. who will actually do the service, it would help. But I doubt if that will happen.

I've had a dozen transmission fluid changes in about a half dozen cars. Never had a problem.....except for a low battery (the Tech. had the radio on when he was performing the service. Got a new battery....but the car was still under warranty.

Many dealerships prohibit the use of the customers radio. But when you find the station changed, it's probably a good indication

Edit: actually Brandon, the dealership SHOULD be well experienced in this fluid change. There are a lot of them out there.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM

That's why I will only take it to the dealer. I just don't trust any of the other shops to do it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
geg

No special knowledge, only the common information.

* Replacement of fluids leads to replace the filter. You have to buy it.
* Changing the filter will require removal of the bottom cover of transmission. There's used a one-time gasket. You've got to buy it, too.
* Bottom cover should be cleaned, remove sediment.
* You will need 7 liters of liquid. If the dealer removes the old fluid under pressure - you need more liquid.
* 3 or 5 days after replacement transmission fluid you need visual inspection. If the fluid is flowing out - a second visit to the dealer for troubleshooting (tighten bolts).

There are more secrets. But if you do not do it yourself, then do not overload your brain.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

No I won't be doing it myself. I have never done a transmission fluid change and I could do it on an older car. But these seem to be a little more technical with the sealed unit and no dipstick. I probably could do it but there becomes a point where I'd rather pay to hopefully have it done right.

Anyone else got anything I should know?