Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

What PM would you do @ 155K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 06:30 PM

What PM would you do @ 155K?

Aside from trying to find a good pair of FE3 front struts (the supply of new ones seems to be dwindling rapidly) and a noisy fuel pump when tank is below a quarter full, the car is running well. Since I can't afford a replacement without going into debt, what would you reccommend doing? The car does have an engine light on throwing a crankshaft position sensor code which I plan on having replaced along with the camshaft position sensors at the same time. New belts, hoses, spark plugs and wires (yes, still on the originals) and thermostat for sure but what else would you do at this point? Fuel pump is on the possible list but wondering if I should do other things such as water pump, altenator, etc. I live in a rural area and good mechanics are few and far between and the few good ones stay booked up so I would prefer to do everything needed at one time. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:37 PM

I don't replace things like the alternator or fuel pump as PM work. If for some reason I need to drop the tank I may do the pump assembly while in there but that's about it.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:55 PM
Administrator

KYB struts are dependable and great quality.
the sensor probably is doing its job, take off the valve cover check to ensure the timing chain is nice and tight and that the front guide isn’t damaged.
AC Delco 41-103 iridium spark plugs. They work the best.
change the coolant 50/50 Dexcool.
AC Delco 131-158 thermostat, don’t waste your money on any other thermostat.

before you do anything, please post the code only, we’ll advise you from there. It’s alarming and the counter guy can entice you to parts cannon your engine, but you probably don’t have to.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:08 PM

before you do anything, please post the code only, we’ll advise you from there. It’s alarming and the counter guy can entice you to parts cannon your engine, but you probably don’t have to.
Used the code reader @ Autozone (which I detest) but surprisingly, counter guy didn't offer any advice or parts other than what the code signified. Been a while since that happened so I don't recall the exact code. Will report back when I find another code reader.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:03 AM

Betcha that "crankshaft sensor code" is a P0010-14 and there's nothing wrong with the crankshaft sensor. Have you changed the oil? Do that a lot. I like to change mine before the DIC says 50%.

"Spark plugs and wires"? What wires?

Do they sell E85 fuel in your area?

Old 03-06-2023, 02:50 AM

I usually change the oil @ 60%. I know it's subjective but I never run any oil as far as the vehicle manufacturer says it 'can' go. My truck gets done @ 3500 miles max but it rarely gets driven much any more so it's about once or twice a year now

Wires? It's been so long since I've had that Rube Goldberg contraption of a breather housing off I couldn't remember if it has 'em or not! (note to self-add new air filter to list, delete wires)

I live in a rural area but am close to a recreational TVA lake so lots on non-ethanol available but can't recall ever seeing any E85. But thanks for mentioning it. I had to look it up to find out exactly what it is. Now I know what the 'flex fuel' emblem on the back of the car means.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:00 AM

The usual "crankshaft sensor code" is P0016 or P0017; which means bad timing chain, NOT bad sensor.
As for PM, look in your Owner Manual (link in my sig). New ACDElco 41-103 plugs at 100,000. Ecotec means economical to operate, not much maintenance.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:16 PM

OK but for the best help, please do post the actual code number, i.e. Pnnnn, not a description.

Originally Posted by snuffy
I usually change the oil @ 60%. I know it's subjective but I never run any oil as far as the vehicle manufacturer says it 'can' go. My truck gets done @ 3500 miles max but it rarely gets driven much any more so it's about once or twice a year now

Wires? It's been so long since I've had that Rube Goldberg contraption of a breather housing off I couldn't remember if it has 'em or not! (note to self-add new air filter to list, delete wires)

I live in a rural area but am close to a recreational TVA lake so lots on non-ethanol available but can't recall ever seeing any E85. But thanks for mentioning it. I had to look it up to find out exactly what it is. Now I know what the 'flex fuel' emblem on the back of the car means.