Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Valve cover question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Valve cover question

I want to improve the looks of my valve cover, to really make it shine, but I'm not sure what the best option for me is:
Do I just have it polished to a mirror finish? I'm pretty sure it can be done easily, but what will it be like to maintain a year or two down the road.
Powdercoat? I want it as shiny as possible. My car has a lot of additional chrome pieces on it and I would want a similar look in my engine compartment.
Can it be chromed? Would it withstand the heat? How long would it last and look good?

I have a brand new valve cover to get done, and then I can swap it out with the one currently on my car, so downtime is not an issue.

Your opinions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM

For looks and durability, go for powdercoating. There are probably local shops that are known within the custom car community.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM

Chroming it tends to hold in the heat......
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Do whatever you would prefer, or will work best for you. All of them are viable options.

You could polish it yourself for only the cost of sandpaper. Of course, this will be the toughest to maintain. This finish will require regular polishing/protection to maintain the shine. I use Mother's Mag & Alum. polish to keep these surfaces nice and shiny.

Powder Coating is an excellent option, it is very durable, available in a variety of finishes/color, and only requires a quick wipe down with a wet rag to keep it clean. Oh, and it withstands, and can help to reduce underhood temperatures very well.

You could also chrome it. It will also be easier to maintain than the polished valve cover, but not as low maintenance as powder coating. It would withstand the heat just fine, many people have run chrome plated valve covers for years and years with them looking new for quite a while.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Polish it, & then have it powder coated clear gloss.. Best of both worlds..
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Ya..its not the chrome handling the heat, exhaust pipes have been around for years...its the hot spots caused by the hot oil that leads to coking because theres no heat transfer...V8 cars with ample room still tended to have their covers removed somewhat often because they leaked more or the owner just liked tinkering so the covers were always being cleaned. Theres nothing to tinker with under these covers and they fit tighter and have less air circulation around them..personally I wouldnt do anything to create any hotspots then whats already there..these arnt the same engines grandma used to drive...