Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Baby Moons

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 PM

Baby Moons

Will Baby Moons fit on the HHR LS steel wheels?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Deceased

The easiest answer is the one you're not going to want to hear, and that's no.

But check this thread out for some ideas on full moons and other treatments done with what HHR folks call "Steelies".

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=baby+moons
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

eventhough moons don't work, I believe trim rings do. Paint your steelies and polish ur nuts.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM

I have the wheel covers from Hubcapmikes on my HHR. These covers will not rotate if you use steel valve stems. That's what I did and I have had no problems. You can see them in the two photos I've posted.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Hey postalboy, I have the 16" steelies too and I'd like those hubs. Anyway you could put a link up to buy them from hubcap mikes? Looked and can't seem to find where they are. Thanks man
Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bigpatshhr
Hey postalboy, I have the 16" steelies too and I'd like those hubs. Anyway you could put a link up to buy them from hubcap mikes? Looked and can't seem to find where they are. Thanks man

Sweet Jesus....you ever hear of GOOGLE. It's the first link......

http://hubcapmike.com/
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Administrator

So, why steel valve stems?? and these are full moons! here's a pic of my shiny polished nuts!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Administrator

and here are the WV rally's with baby moons!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 AM

The covers tended to rotate and bend the rubber stems on my LS. When I replaced the tires it was easy just to have metal stems put on and this stopped the rotation.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 PM

Not Baby Moons but small center incerts

I originally posted this on September 2009 so the raw hubcap will probably not be available but the principal is the same … I made these for my steel wheel which I use in the winter time. I started with a set of plastic hubcaps from Kmart. It really does not matter what hub cap you start with as long as there is enough center plastic to suit your needs and the molded in plastic lug nuts are 110 mm apart which is what the KMart ones are.

Name:  100_2809.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  100_2808.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  37.2 KB

Once you have the hub caps the process just takes a lot of time. Oh a word of caution. If you do not have factory hub caps (i.e. you have factory chrome wheels) making these hub caps costs a little money in that, since I had the chrome wheels I had to buy factory hub caps to get the removable plastic lug nuts and also buy double threaded lug nuts. Ok back to the hub caps.... there is a picture in photobucket album which shows the full size hub cap with the tape on it which is the first step. Here is the picture

Name:  100_2577.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  122.5 KB

I made a template (from a file folder but cardboard would work) which I placed on the taped area and traced a circle equal to the size of the hub cap you want to end up with. Obviously it has to be centered so the lug nuts wind up in the proper location. Basically I kept all of the usable center and just removed the spokes. Then taking a dremel tool with a cutting wheel I cut about a half inch from the line all the way around leaving more plastic then necessary. Then using the sand paper drummed fitting I worked my way into the line by going around and around closing in on the line. Since it was plastic the heat makes it a combination sanding/melting to the proper circumference. The plastic breaks away nicely where it has been heated and bunches up into clunkers. It is an effort of trimming and checking and trimming some more.

Once the hub caps are cut down to size then I took a drill bit and drilled out the plastic lug nuts which are molded into the KMart one. Then taking the drummed fitting on the dremmel tool I again worked my way around the hole making it bigger until just a little of the plastic dimple remains. You have to keep checking the hole with the plastic lug nuts from the factory hub cap until they slid into the hole but you cant take to much away as there would be no lip to hold the hub caps on when you tightened them down onto the double treaded lug nuts. Hope this is clear.

Good luck its time consuming - labor of love, but it is worth it.

John

Quick Reply: Baby Moons