Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Gull Wing Doors for HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Gull Wing Doors for HHR

Saw our neighbor have a local body shop install a Gull Wing Hinge Kit to his 2008 Mustang and it turned out pretty cool. Said the biggest headache was the wiring, having to lengthen the wiring loom and making sure it didn't catch in the door when opening and closing.

I was thinking of doing this on my 2006 HHR but checking on the internet for a hinge kit there seems to be a lot of companies out there making these kits, with one model number supposingly working on all cars. Has anyone tried to install these on their HHR? Whose product did you use and what headaches did you have?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM

When you say 'gull wing' do you actually mean the scissors type so called 'Lambo doors'? Two different things. I've seen Lambo door on an HHR; didn't really care for the look. That's just me and I know that you're not asking for opinions so I'll just leave that right there.

Gull Wing:

Lambo:
Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Lambo Doors

You got it right, I meant the Lambo Doors not Gull Wing. Couldn't think of the name this morning. Do you know who makes a decent kit and if there is a lot of headaches with installing this kit?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Don't really know much about the kits. One place I do recall seeing them is eBay.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure about this BUT.......

I believe this was discussed before and the conclusion evolved to, only for show. The "pillar" structure would not take the frequent movement of the doors for a daily driver. You might want to do a search on this forum for, "lambo doors". Might yield further information.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Here's a post about lambo doors from a former member:
Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
The big problem is the metal the doors (and body), are made from. It is comprised of four layers of very thin metal, sandwiched together. This makes plasma cutting and welding extremely difficult. I spoke at length with Erich at Darkside while we were doing my drop about it. He said you couldn't pay him to do it again (they only did suicide doors, too!). He said GodFather's Lambo doors probably took a crazy amount of time to complete. (It must be pretty bad if a custom guy say's he won't do it again!) The doors must be hinged to overlap the fender bulges - which calls for some special hinge angles to get them to "bump out" - tricky!

So...there's the scoop.
Here's the entire thread:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/lambo-doors-492/
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by clutz13
with one model number supposedly working on all cars.
Aside from saying don't do it for more reason than I could ever get into on here... If you plan on doing it, or any type of automotive modification....... anytime you buy a 'one size fits all' type of thing, that means 'almost fits everything, but really fits nothing'.

PINCHING PENNIES COSTS DOLLARS...........
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Deceased

I'm all for individuality, but please rethink doing it, Lambo doors are such a cliche anymore you might be greeted with more laughs than thumbs up.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM

And now the plus side of having lambo doors...
But remember I didn't pay for them just the 5 hour laborIt takes to put them on.
When done by a professional company
You almost never have a problem,
You win at shows, and people freak
When you open them up, mine electronicly by remote.
My company jt stopped producing them
A while back sorry not enough demand.
If you do it yourself you will need to extend the
Cable as they did on mine and upgrade to better
Shocks as time goes by like I did from jt.
I have had no problems but I am a thin guy
And you will lose about a foot of door room when opened
Normally to the side.
PS:nobody laughs they just look and shake there head...
Hope that was of some help.

Jeff

Last edited by jeff schaffer; 04-12-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Rest In Peace

If YOU Like them, get yourself a set, Don't worry what others online think.

Think for Yourself.

I bought '55 Chevy Tail Lights as a bolt on Kit for my HHR Panel, alot of guys here sitting at home online giving their opinions and not the encouraging type said they didn't like them, or they'd do them differenty ect ect. (so far no one who had said they'd do them differently, has as of yet. And never will is my bet.)

I get more compliments on those "55 Tail Lights and the first time I pull into a cruise night hot spot, Morticia gets Alot of Attention.

So listening to the nay sayers won't get your car noticed at car shows, cruise nite spots or even stopping for gas.

With that said, buy a set Made for the HHR, NOT a "universal " set.

NOT any ebay sets either, The ebay sets are foreign made and use softer thinner metal that will sag/bend over time and use.

I have a set myself that I may or may not use, still deciding. Got a heads up on a New unused set that was on craigs list at a very good price so I grabbed them.

If I was buying a set NEW at Retail, I would go with Vertical Doors Inc. Made in the USA and Made for the HHR, Direct Bolt On Kit. Yes you have to extend the wiring, thats not a real hard thing to do. You and a buddy or two could have them installed on a nice Saturday and be at a drive in cruise nite that evening.

Kits comes Complete , you can always unbolt them and put your OEM hinges back on before you sell or trade in your HHR in the future.

Then resell the KIT

Also DON'T pay the "Retail" price listed!!!! Retail listed is $1,495.00.

CALL them and start asking some questions, ask for customer service and tech support. I called and asked if they had a PDF install file, said I was thinking about buying a set for my HHR and wanted to see whats involved.

Of course they offer to sell you a set, I said i'll have to think on it awhile as 1500.00 bucks was alot. I got an offer to buy them at HALF Price right then and there on the phone.

Now if you just place an online order, your gonna pay the $1,495.00 plus shipping.

My guess is anyone who calls for info and asks questions then says they don't wanna spend that much will get a much lower offer to buy them like I was offered.

Worth a phone call if your ready to buy.

Link> http://www.verticaldoors.com/chevrolet_2006_up_hhr.html

Quick Reply: Gull Wing Doors for HHR