Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Lower grill on my LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Lower grill on my LS

Hello. I am new to this forum, as I just bought my HHR less than a month ago. I have done some searching here on this topic but am a little lost.

I want to add some sort of a lower grill on a my non - SS. Will these grill inserts I see online work on my LS? How do they attach? Or are they meant to replace the insert on an SS?

I've seen some posts with people making custom cut brackets.... Is that what it would take to add a lower grill to my car? That's a bit over my head.

Any suggestions? I'm sorry, this might be a dumb question that's been asked a million times. My front end just begs for something down there, even if it is just for radiator protection...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Mike, I researched the search window and determined there are a lot of lower grille kits out there and they attach in different ways, my suggestion is to have a look at some of them, (I liked the fangs on one of our member's HHR's) see which one fits your style and then check out E-bay , our vendors, or the classified ads and order a lower grill, I see posts for problems with different grilles and members solutions to those issues, so, happy hunting and post some pics after you install the insert.
www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9962
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Yes they are for yours. There are a few of them out there, I used the stainless with wire mesh. It is mounted with one bracket and bolt.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 AM

If you found this thread where I made my brackets, post #37 shows one of the brackets my lower grille came with. I reused the screws and puts several regular nuts and a nylon lock nut on them, they're still rock solid after several months.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos
If you found this thread where I made my brackets, post #37 shows one of the brackets my lower grille came with. I reused the screws and puts several regular nuts and a nylon lock nut on them, they're still rock solid after several months.
Those brackets you made look awesome but are over my head, fabrication wise.

Are they necessary? I don't suppose you could fab up a set for cheap...? lol
Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikelikestobike
Those brackets you made look awesome but are over my head, fabrication wise.

Are they necessary? I don't suppose you could fab up a set for cheap...? lol
They're not strictly necessary, but probably will become necessary. I made mine with a Dremel, but now I have access to a machine shop. Unfortunately, I don't have any time, between work and helping start a hackerspace.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Technical Moderator

There is a thread in the "how To" library about using a gutter guard from HomeDepot/Lowes. I had one on my HHR, but took it off after I thought I noticed the engine temp a couple of degrees hotter, may have been just me.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

I cut one to fit from a thread somewhere on here. have not had any problems with the mod and clean out birds, leaves, etc., periodically. has served me well :)