Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

removing front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Talking removing front license plate

does anyone have a better idea than just attempting to drill out the rivets on the front license plate bracket?

I don't seem to be able to get behind the rivets and I don't believe I can get anything under the big heads to cut them off from the front.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Last edited by conovemw; 12-30-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add bracket to explanation
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Deceased

If it's riveted on, the only real way to remove it is to carefully drill the rivet heads off, unless you're feeling adventurous enough to pull off the front bumper/fascia assembly.

Some folks live with the ugly bracket and put a plate on for their favorite team or NASCAR driver.

But if you do remove it, check out this thread on hiding the holes left behind.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/remove-front-license-plate-holder-4829/
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by conovemw
does anyone have a better idea than just attempting to drill out the rivets on the front license plate bracket?

I don't seem to be able to get behind the rivets and I don't believe I can get anything under the big heads to cut them off from the front.

Any ideas?

thanks!

All the ones I have had on my HHR's were screwed on from the outside.
Maybe the earlier HHR's were riveted or maybe a prior owner added a holder with rivets. Depends on the state you live in whether you need a front license plate or not.

The problem with drilling out lies in the rivet not being an extra tight fit.
If it is not, you might start the whole thing spinning loose before you can get it drilled.
Unless they are aluminum rivets they are hard to drill without spinning.
One thing I can think of is to try to get a bite on the rivet head with a pair of Vise grips .. Or ?? before you start, and drill a small pilot hole first.
Only other option might be to grind the rivet head off carefully if you have the proper tools. I have a Mini Die grinder with mini attachments.

Downside to both is Surface Damage so decide if you can either accept some or figure out a way to cover it up before starting.
A quality self adhering strip or decal might work .. or drill out the rivet holes larger after removed and find a discrete truss head plug of some kind.

P.S. I think 843de's idea of the special license plate could work OK also.

SF
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM

I think they are plastic rivets that expand when tightened. You should be able to drill them out.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Mine were aluminum rivets, drilled them out.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM

This is an OLD thread, but maybe I can get a 'new' answer.
Like many I have that UGLY looking bracket on the front. My state doesn't require it - so I want to take it off.
HAS ANYONE bought the front chrome bumper trim and installed it. I was curious if it was installed the "proper" height if the holes would show.

I was also thinking about adding the stainless front bumper plate. I know that would cover the lower holes, but wasn't sure if I put it on, if the chrome bumper trim would lay smooth over it....

Any help??