Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Roof of 2010 HHR has clear coat issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Roof of 2010 HHR has clear coat issue

I just got this car less than two weeks ago and lo and behold while cleaning it up the other day I discovered three 50 cent piece donut shaped marks in the paint of the roof. I do have some auto detail and body work experience, and the marks resemble feather edge delamination of previous repair spots. I went to one shop I trust and have done work with in the past, and they agree with my assesment; yet it seems that the car is wearing it's original paint, including the roof. Let's just say I'm bummed that I now have to get some spot repair and respray an entire roof panel on a one year old vehicle! I realize GM isn't the only auto maker that has had clear coat delamination issues, but as I'm the second owner and the car has 39,000 plus on the odemeter I doubt if any GM paint warranty would apply to me. Let's just say that while I love this car so far, I'm not happy about this issue.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Possible there was some hail damage repairs done by the previous owner???
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Deceased

That's exactly what it sounds like Greybeard, I've seen it happen down here in "hail country USA". I think the clearcoat and the basecoat can take different amounts of deflection, and after a few months you can see where the clearcoat is lifting up from the basecoat. I can't tell you whether the vehicles I've seen it happen on still have their factory paint, but everywhere there was a hail peck you can see a circle of lifting clearcoat.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Did you get a CARFAX report prior to purchase ?

Even tho some stuff can easily not be reported..
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I also agree with the suspicions mentioned. I live in hail country, and sadly I've dealt with it over the years on a few other vehicles I've owned and have fixed in the past. I did get a Carfax report, in fact it's also a GM CPO'd vehicle which doesn't apply to any paint issues warranty-wise. The Carfax report shows nothing in regards to body work being done. Nuff about that. The car did have some PDR and detail work done on it before I made the deal. I'm anal that way, and it was very clean, when I picked it up. The noogies just came to light a couple of days ago. Whatever is going on is under the surface, and oddly there are no usual signs of the roof having been repainted, let alone spot repair being done. It doesn't mean it hasn't been done, but boy oh boy whoever did it; did some clean work overall. The marks are donut shaped rings, all nice and shiny but raised up like a blister. It looks like some sort of feather edge repair separation to me, that just now has shown up. It isn't your typical blister and peel clear coat problem. I won't know until the repair job gets underway to see what's truly up. I can honestly say the problem wasn't apparent when I made the deal after my final inspection. I'm going to get it fixed, but if the roof is wearing the factory paint, and has been untouched by any previous repair work, which it seems to be for the moment, I've got some concerns needless to say. The honeymoon phase of recent ownership has just got a little bit sour to me, yet I'll get through it just fine. I really do like this car otherwise. I thought I'd vent and be open to advice and comments to come my way from you fine folks.