Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Window tint experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 PM

Sounds like I'm good to put 3m crystalline 90 on every window!

Now just have to find a place willing to do it for a good price.

What's the typical cost to do every window in the car?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:42 PM

We'll apparently I have GM factory tinted windows 20% in the back 50% in the middle and 70% in the front including the windshield, there is a stamp on each window.

I have learned that all windows should block UVB rays but only the front window due to how it's made for safety reasons in a crash happens to block UVA rays as well, some where between 97-99% of them.

Since my front windshield is also factory tinted it is probably blocking all skin damaging rays.

But I still have to determine if the sides and back are protecting as well.

PS.
3m seems to be the best and is available in a crystalline 90% tint.

Does anyone know what a 90% tint over 70% would do???

It's seems to be basically clear.
Apparently clear glass is naturally 90% FYI.

I'm wondering if it will make my legal 70% turn illegal?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 PM

I have the #2 tint on my driver and passenger front side windows. It makes a big difference when doing highway drivjng when the sun is blazing on the sides of the HHR SS. Cost about $75 installed.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Website detailing the various laws across the US and Canada - IWFA Public Website
Old 06-27-2016, 03:35 PM

Gio89kid, if you get a ticket for window tint violation it can be costly. First you have the fine, then removal cost, once removed you have to have the car inspected by the the police or sherriff's department and there is a fee for that. It happened to a woman I work with and it ended up costing her about $400 in the end.

By the way there is legal and illegal so 70% legal = illegal
Old 06-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by gio89kid
We'll apparently I have GM factory tinted windows 20% in the back 50% in the middle and 70% in the front including the windshield, there is a stamp on each window.

I have learned that all windows should block UVB rays but only the front window due to how it's made for safety reasons in a crash happens to block UVA rays as well, some where between 97-99% of them.

Since my front windshield is also factory tinted it is probably blocking all skin damaging rays.

But I still have to determine if the sides and back are protecting as well.

PS.
3m seems to be the best and is available in a crystalline 90% tint.

Does anyone know what a 90% tint over 70% would do???

It's seems to be basically clear.
Apparently clear glass is naturally 90% FYI.

I'm wondering if it will make my legal 70% turn illegal?
Mathematically, film that allows 90% of light to pass + glass that allows 70% light to pass = allowing 63% of light to pass = illegal

If you want to spend hundreds to install, then maybe get a ticket that costs you(as CA Blue HHR points out) another $400, only you can decide if it's worth the risk.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM

The advantage of tinting the fronts is that since they're so small, it's pretty affordable.

PA has the same guide as CA for the front windows - 70% (visible light transmission) or 30% tint. The place I got my fronts done on my SS had a meter that measured the tint % on the rear and rear side windows. I actually went with a 5% darker tint in the front since 1) that was the closest tint to the rears and 2) with the windshield not being tinted anyway, the light coming in from it makes the fronts look lighter than they really are - so they look like they match the back.

Granted different states and officers will produce various results - Good rule of thumb is that if you drove by a police officer, they should still see your silhouette and/or inside the car.

But yes, stick to your state guidelines so IF you were to get pulled over, you know you should be fine since you followed your state's DOT laws.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 AM

Yup, I want to stay legal.
It's actually a bummer that there is factory dyed tint.

But I will see if I can get a machine to test with a sample piece and see what the actual percentage is.

The car looks great with factory tint, just wish it had the added protection like the front windshield.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:03 AM

I am a film installer in Ontario Canada. laws here say you are allowed 35% on the front doors.
FYI the factory tint on these vehicles does not offer UV protection. Only an aftermarket film can protect from sun rays.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:37 AM
Administrator

We had our GMC Terrain tinted , all the side windows, band across the windshield and sunroof, it keeps the heat out very well. I’m to cheap to tint out the BlackSwan.

Quick Reply: Window tint experts needed!