Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Wiring found behind fog light grills

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Sure looks like it, they usually put covers on intentionally unused plugs.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Above are pictures of the right and left side fog light wiring plugs OldBlue requested. So I got out my fluke multimeter this morning, activated the fog light button and I have battery voltage at the plug terminals. I'm thinking what is going on here? I purchased my 2010 HHR from a local Toyota dealership in 10-2016. They claimed a considerable amount of work was needed to get it ready for sale when we were haggling over the price. I pulled a Carfax report before purchasing my HHR. It showed it was a local one owner since new. No accidents or anything negative in the report. So why would the original owner remove the factory fog lights?
I noticed while I had the front bumper fascia off that it had been resprayed in place. The only theory I can come up with is someone at the Toyota dealer had an HHR which had no fog lights. They removed the fog lights or had them removed and replaced the lights with the delete grills. Most likely someone in the body shop while the bumper fascia was being repainted!
I guess the outcome too the fog light wiring being there could not have worked out better for me. No switch to install, no reprogramming of the BCM or changing it out for a BCM from a LT model. Amazon list OEM fit replacement lights for $60.16 for a pair with free shipping.
Amazon Amazon
Does anyone have a better suggestion on where to pick up a set of lights??
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 AM

Projectors on ebay they are listed as an option for HHR at gmpartsgiant https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

Regular about the same as Amazon. Note there are L and R.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

If you want to confirm that your HHR originally had factory fog lights, just check the RPO sticker in the glovebox. T37 is the code for factory installed fogs.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info on needing L & R lights. I would have messed up for sure when ordering them. I'll also check the RPO codes, great point!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:14 PM

You realize that Carfax only reports accidents that are reported to them?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:21 AM

RJ_RS_SS-350's point about Carfax's reports may not contain all accidents a vehicle were in! I think most people including myself believed a CarFax report was a complete history of accidents and repairs done at a major dealership or reported to police. That's actually shocking to learn. You think you are doing your due-diligence by purchasing the report. Now that makes me want to put any car I'm considering to purchase up on a lift and check for any evidence that might indicate a previous accident. Even doing that isn't a perfect solution to discover accident history on a vehicle. I guess it comes down to you can only do so much to inform yourself but there will still be missing info your not aware of.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM

My 2008 Certified used HHR had a clean Carfax, when I bought it. 6 months later the near total wreck appeared on Carfax. The Chevy dealer didn't notice that none of the fender bolts had paint on them. I had pointed that out to the sales weasel, he shrugged. So much for the 30 point inspection! BS.

Carfax reports what is reported to them. If you take your car to Chevy for routine maintenance it will probably be reported. If the PO was a fly by night rental company and they didn't report accidents to their insurance Carfax does not know about it. As far as I know Police accident reports don't go to Carfax only insurance company reports Body shops owned by the owner of a dealership have nothing at all to do with the dealership's manufacturer affiliation. In fact, the Service Department is likely a completely different company from the dealership.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:22 PM

George is correct about the option code. Check that, and you will know for sure what GM gave it at birth.

My guess is someone repaired this outside of insurance, and decided they could go with the non-fog fascia. Those connectors could have water, corrosion, etc. inside. Beware.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM

So I finally got around to installing the fog lights into the bumper facia light holes. Thank God I have a 2 post lift in my shop, that would be a bear using car ramps! Lights fired up fine and indicator on the instrument panel indicates correctly when the fog light switch is depressed. One last thing I could some input on is vertical aiming of the lights now. I'm aware of the access hole under the bumper that allows access to the adjustment screw that makes the vertical movement of the bulb possible. I think I remember someone posting its done with a 7mm long Allen wrench, should have checked that before installing them but not a big deal!

Quick Reply: Wiring found behind fog light grills