Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

back-up camera monitor

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 10:50 AM
Administrator

And this isn’t a distracting screen in this 2021 Tesla model 3 ? I agree about putting it on top over the cubby cover. I’m old school , turn around and look out the back windows! No guessing what’s back there!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:24 AM

If I was putting a rear-view camera in my HHR, I would get a system that replaced the rear-view mirror with one that had a screen in it:

Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM

Nothing wrong with looking out the back window, but when you are parking on the street with limited parking, it is nice to be able to back up a bit closer to my other cars and take up less room. I'd hate to punch the trailer hitch through the front of the car behind me. maybe I need to cut the locking pin off that I don't have a key for.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Administrator

That’s probably the best idea, if you didn’t have the monitor already.
I was out for a bit and had a look , there are no real options for a screen that size. Maybe double sided taped to the Sun visor, but that’s a pain to keep flipping down, then back up and flip it back up.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:49 PM

I would think just getting an aftermarket head unit is the simplest and best solution plus you’ll have additional benefits from an upgraded radio. Sounds like messing around with the monitor will just be a pain. You can get cheap radios with rear camera functions from various sources and they’re practically plug and play with the right harnesses.

These cars are ridiculously easy to work on - you can pretty much change out the radio with just a 7mm socket and panel tool. Mount the camera on the license plate on the hatch, run the wires up the passenger side and up to the new radio and you're good to go. Crutchfield will supposedly even do the harness if you don't like soldering or...and I can't believe I'm saying this, even Best Buy could do this without screwing it up.

Look how nice and clean this looks!

Now I personally wouldn't get the one listed below, but this isn't too much more than just going with a monitor - includes radio and camera and free install for the radio:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/boss-au...?skuId=6343888
Old 11-29-2021, 09:22 PM

A properly installed system only turns on when the transmission is in reverse.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
A properly installed system only turns on when the transmission is in reverse.
That’s why a new head units is a good option because they allow you to use the rear view camera at anytime. Don’t know how useful that actually is but you can do it.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

And this isn’t a distracting screen in this 2021 Tesla model 3 ? I agree about putting it on top over the cubby cover. I’m old school , turn around and look out the back windows! No guessing what’s back there!
I have driven a Tesla for three years now with the screen pictured above. The best car (and fastest car) I have ever owned (including a Porsche and a street rod with a 327 tunnel ram induction). The screen was a distraction for the first 10 minutes I owned the car and then it became an essential piece of safety equipment, anything but a distraction. A Tesla is essentially a complex computer on wheels. I have the Autopilot option and the car changes lanes only when it is safe to do so. I can look over my shoulder if I wish but the screen shows a better view out the back than a rear view mirror (yes, I can pull up the rear camera at any time without putting the car in reverse), but honestly Autopilot is a better driver than I am. My wife ALWAYS pulls up the rear camera with a simple touch of the screen when merging onto a busy freeway. The day is quickly approaching when all automobiles will have a similar technology. Only then will the doubters understand.

To be clear, I enjoy driving my HHR as much as the Tesla, but the Tesla is a much safer car.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:09 AM
Administrator

I’m not doubting anything, just pointing out that a large screen is in a modern car, therefore it must be just fine in an older car .
My wife’s GMC Terrain has a large screen also with a rear view camera, and I’m sure many other cars it’s also that way.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:52 PM

I use Ram mounts in my cars. Here I have a Nexus 7 tablet being used as a GPS and backup camera. It measures 8" x 41/2". It dosen't block the windshield.

Quick Reply: back-up camera monitor