Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Led dome lights glow after car is off

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dracos
Today I got my dome lights that I ordered from our forum sponsor, PL175CA.

They are quite fussy about how they're plugged in, I didn't get any of them to work until after 2+ tries each and talking to their customer service live chat. Then they all worked. Later when I was taking them out in the dark (read on for why), the front one flickered as the dome lens fell out of the bezel. Weird.

I put them in just before dusk. At that time, they seemed to fade all the way off. Three hours later in the full dark, I went to check again. Sure enough, all three stayed lit at somewhere less than 5%, even while driving. So I pulled them out, in the dark. Interestingly, after I swapped one stock bulb back in, the two remaining LEDs faded all the way off like I expected they should in the first place.

So now I'm also looking for where/how to put the resistor.

LAME!! I was really hoping they would work. I spoke to a customer support person for VLEDs and they told me their higher power bulbs (which I was originally interested in but they were sold out at the time and still are) will require enough power that the small amount of power running through will not be enough to light them even the slightest when they're supposed to be off. So I guess we shall see. He assured me I wouldn't have the issue with them... so I'm gonna send back 3 from the first order and buy the new more powerful ones as soon as they become available. When everything is said and done I'll let everyone know what my results are. Hopefully this will be a resistorless fix. lol
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Got off the phone with CarID's tech department a little while ago. They are sending me one of these resistors (50W, 6ohm) at no charge. He said to install it on the positive side of the dome light circuit in the interior fuse block.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Got off the phone with CarID's tech department a little while ago. They are sending me one of these resistors (50W, 6ohm) at no charge. He said to install it on the positive side of the dome light circuit in the interior fuse block.
I'm still hoping the bulbs I order fix the issue. I just don't feel like adding a resistor lol
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 AM

Just ordered the new bulbs... hopefully it'll resolve the issue. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TEKNOnaut
Just ordered the new bulbs... hopefully it'll resolve the issue. Will keep everyone posted.
Tekno, which bulbs did you originally get, and which replacements?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Tekno, which bulbs did you originally get, and which replacements?
Original

Replacements

I talked to their customer support and they assured me I wouldn't have the problem with these. They said they require significantly more power than the first ones I bought and therefore the little amount of current that goes through on the ceiling wiring should not light them up.

I guess we'll see.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 PM

OK, Dr. Ohm. here goes again. LEDs are not driven by voltage like an Edison bulb, thus you will be hard put to find a bare AC LED. And since they are diodes they have a tendency to "latch". They are a switch that happens to emit light, under the proper (to them) condition they switch "on".
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM

New LEDs fixed the issue. Bright as hell and turn completely off!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 PM

I'm RMA-ing these Plazma LEDs. There's just no place I feel like putting a resistor, which I wanted to avoid in the first place. If anyone finds any orange (600-620nm, redder than amber) 578 festoon replacement LEDs with resistors and 80+ lumens, let me know. Orange isn't the most popular color, but I'll keep looking.