Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Tint!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM

Question Tint!

My HHR currently has factory tint in the back and the front two windows have aftermarket tint. The previous owner had them tinted to match the rear. Although, I would like to re-tint with 20% all around. Has anyone had their HHR re-tinted? If so, how much did it cost for someone to remove the old tint and apply new tint?

(I do live in Michigan but I do not adhere to the tinting laws because they never give you a ticket and EVERYONE has tint these days...)

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Deceased

Well the factory tint is part of the Solar Ray glass installed at the factory, that tint is integtal to the glass, so there is nothing to remove.

I'd imagine a window tinting outfit would only place a nominal fee on removing the old aftermarket tint on the front glass, then retinting it darker.

Here's a pretty good thread on window tint and HHR's including aftermarket tinting over the OEM tinted glass to make it darker.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/tinted-windows-30002/

Just watch out in assuming you'll never get a "Fix It" ticket or Citation over window tint, it's a Primary Offense in your state, so you can be stopped by an officer only on the basis of suspected illegal tinting.

The law in Michigan is Statute MCL 257.709 .

"The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%."
Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

hkoehler459 - your 3 separate posts (in the forums: General HHR, Front Page news etc.) regarding tint have all been merged into this one. Please post in the appropriate forum, and don't do multiple posts for the same thing, else the responses will be all over the place, and will likely get missed.

If you have lost your posts, and want to find your own postings, there is a handy tool available for that purpose: Click on the DOWN ARROW to the right of your name (in the upper right corner), and select MY POSTS from the drop down list.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Deceased

And the first two now redundant posts have been deleted, they all asked the same question.

Multiple posts of the same question here, there, and everywhere will not get you an answer faster.

In fact they tend to get overlooked and lost in the normal volume of forum traffic.

Neither whopper or myself are singling you out or being hyper picky, we understand you're a new poster so it takes time to get used to the workings of the forum.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Administrator

there is a tint removal kit available at several sources (even WallyMart) you could remove the old tint yourself to save money, then have the windows retinted in the spring.
I don't recommend tinting windows in the winter, to many times I've had to get it redone in the warmer weather
Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM

may i just add that tinting the rear lift gate window is a B*TCH
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 PM

That is not true, my son has gotten 3 fix it tickets for window tinting on 3 vehicles he bought that were already tinted by someone else. We live in Michigan north of Detroit. My friends who are police officers all warned him because it is an officer safety concern. They can't see in when they are coming to the car.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM

The place I got my doors tinted actually charges more for removal. It can be difficult to peel off when done properly.
And what's on yours now is probably very close to 20% already, the factory tint on the rear is about 23%.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Oldblue & Prod- remove the tint yourself & save.

I use a safety razor to cut it off, then some clean up..
Old 06-01-2022, 09:07 AM

Tint removal is fairly easy to do. Catch the edge of the film with a razorblade, peel as much as you can. Drop the window an inch or two to start the top, peel a bit, up the window so you can get to the bottom. Once this is done, your window will likely be sticky from the adhesive. Spray soap and water on the clear window so you can continue with the razorblade. Easy Peasy. Hope this helps anyone. Tinting cars and offices since 1995. By the way, stripping window tint has an odor to it. Save the purple tint for easter baskets. Rear window tint removal is a little more difficult due to the defroster wires. Heat gun the outside of the window to heat up the film, Again, catch the edge of the film or between the lines with razorblade and pull as you heat the window up, scrub off adhesive with a white scrub pad, using soap and water in a spray bottle.

Last edited by GR!M_SW33P3R; 06-01-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: left out some steps for rear window tint removal.

Quick Reply: Tint!