Picture & Media Showoff your Chevy HHR and you may be the next Featured Car!

1955 Chevrolet Restoration-Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Kudos, A&P...... I would have gotten the itch to hot rod that long ago......

@ JoeR..... don't remind people that are older than A&P. I'm not senile yet.

Funny little story along those lines GB.

I was a High School KID when I got her, and my Dad offered up the garage and said he would help me restore it to a Nice daily driver.

So we started on it, my dad would come home from work and want to work on the car, but as a Teen, I had other plans to hang out with my buds, my Father was having NO part in that thinking.

It was get your a** out in the garage and lets work on the car, OR, get it OUT of MY (His) garage!

So, I worked on it 7 days a week after School/work for me and work for him. Took us about 1 year, but it was done nicely for what I could afford at the time.

I wanted to paint it Candy Apple Red and Pearl White, and drop a V-8 into it.

My Father was like NO WAY SON! NOT in MY garage. You'll Ruin it's Value that way.

Needless to say, it was HIS garage and he won out, we restored best as we could with the money I was making at the time back to Original.

Looking back, I am Glad he INSISTED we do it as Original. And if he hadn't PUSHED me to work on it Every day until it was Done, I would not have had it Finished Before I graduated High School to Show it Off a little before we all went our seperate ways.

The V-8 in it now, IS an Original V-8 from another '55 2 Door Hardtop, that was Fully rebuilt for another guys '55, but he ran out of cash and started selling off parts so it ended up in this restoration. The trans and the rear end as well.

I still have the Complete original 6 cylinder and drive train so it Could be bolted back in. It will be Kept with the car so it could go back to 100% original easily.

But as JoeR said, the '55 was the First year for the V-8 in a Chevy so it was Hard to pass up a Fully rebuilt and fully restored Original '55 V-8 out of a 2 door Bel Air Hardtop that was even the Same colors as mine, the price was Right to go for it.

I do MISS my Father. Damned cancer took him way too soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by JoeR
HA!! A&P is young enough to be my son, although I swear, I never met his mother!

DADDY!!!!!! Hey Daddy, got a Free HP TUNE for your little ol Lost SON?

LMFAO!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Good life lessons you got from your Dad, A&P...........

I'm still seeing it Black, with Cragars and a Moon tank where the grill used to be.......
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Love your story! Gives me chills. Wish I had been able to keep some of the cars that I butchered up in my high school days. Mostly Fords from 55 to mid sixties. Had a couple 55 crown victorias that I ripped out the old 292-312s and jammed in a 390 4 speeds. My girlfriend's mom had a 57 Chevy ragtop white w/ red int. 283 3 sp. power windows and power tuning radio. She wanted $100 for it! I [STUPID] said it's not a Ford , don't want it... Oh man, brings me back. Thanks again for your 55 story, hope you never sell it. John
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Good life lessons you got from your Dad, A&P...........

I'm still seeing it Black, with Cragars and a Moon tank where the grill used to be.......

Thanks, he was a pretty Good man.

As far as the Black with Cragars, That's kinda why I went with my Panel.

I found rims that I Like and it's Basic Black, with Chrome and now even has all Black Leather seats front and rear.
Notice I Removed the Dealer installed Vinyl pinstripes.

Name:  92c557ed.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  00eb1d55.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  06796a6a.jpg
Size:  88.9 KB

I gotta Buff it out with my Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer to get some Ugly Swirl marks Out.
Name:  432389dc.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  70.4 KB

And soon it will be Blown or for the young ones "Supercharged".

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Loved the history on your 55 man.

You are doing your dad proud I am sure.

My hats off to you.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 2manyvans
Love your story! Gives me chills. Wish I had been able to keep some of the cars that I butchered up in my high school days. Mostly Fords from 55 to mid sixties. Had a couple 55 crown victorias that I ripped out the old 292-312s and jammed in a 390 4 speeds. My girlfriend's mom had a 57 Chevy ragtop white w/ red int. 283 3 sp. power windows and power tuning radio. She wanted $100 for it! I [STUPID] said it's not a Ford , don't want it... Oh man, brings me back. Thanks again for your 55 story, hope you never sell it. John
I'd KILL for a '57 Ragtop for $100.00, I'D keep MY '55 of course as I like the '55's best out of the tri chevys.

Wish I had some of my old cars I had as well. I had some some cars that are worth a hell of alot today but were bought cheap. A '67 Camaro Ragtop, I bought for $550.00, a '70 Le Mans Ragtop I traded a Plymouth Duster for it. '70 Chevelle, I was a Teen when todays Hot Muscle Cars were driven daily and bought for pennies, as teen beaters. lol
I had several others that today would fetch a handsome sum. I'd have 3-4 cars a year some years, buying and trading as a kid. Lots of old Chevys I wish I could get back.

If we only realized what we actually had and KEPT them all.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by whopper
Loved the history on your 55 man.

You are doing your dad proud I am sure.

My hats off to you.

Thank you.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Nice, I wish I had the time to start on my 76' Vette that I too took to the prom.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
Nice, I wish I had the time to start on my 76' Vette that I too took to the prom.
Lifes Short, ya Gotta make the time to Take it. Even if you just get 4 hours a week or so to work on it, Do it.

If you don't, you may never get started even. Once the work is Done you can Enjoy the car and show it off every time you drive it.

I got sidetracked after buying my Panel, and tried to get it done and paid for asap, well I got it paid for and 95% of all the Mods I want, now I just gotta take the time to get them all installed and get back to workin on the '55.

Quick Reply: 1955 Chevrolet Restoration-Pics