Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

08 HHR Acceleration/Cut-Off Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM

08 HHR Acceleration/Cut-Off Problems??

Hi, not sure if this is posted in the correct section.. if it is not, please accept my apologies.

I have an 08 HHR-LT, with 63K miles on it. Last week while it was running in park, it just cut off and would not re-start. I was at a gas station,and although the low-fuel light was not on, added gas anyway and it started right up?

Since that happened, it seems to loose all power on any type of incline, no matter how small or gradual. When I push down the pedal to try to maintain or gain speed, the RPM's jump way up, the car shakes, and then finally kicks back in to normal.

Yesterday, as I was backing out of my driveway, it again stalled on me and would not re-start. After about an hour, it started up again, I added more gas(although again, it had 1/4 tank in it already) and has not cut off again.

Does anyone had any similar experiences? I took it up to the Chevy dealer today, and they said it sounds like the cadillac converter(which is still under warranty), but I don't have appointment until next week for them to run diagnostics on it to be sure of the actual problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and my check engine light has not come on one time as of yet.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM

No cels??????????

Originally Posted by jamiejess1
Hi, not sure if this is posted in the correct section.. if it is not, please accept my apologies.

I have an 08 HHR-LT, with 63K miles on it. Last week while it was running in park, it just cut off and would not re-start. I was at a gas station,and although the low-fuel light was not on, added gas anyway and it started right up?

Since that happened, it seems to loose all power on any type of incline, no matter how small or gradual. When I push down the pedal to try to maintain or gain speed, the RPM's jump way up, the car shakes, and then finally kicks back in to normal.

Yesterday, as I was backing out of my driveway, it again stalled on me and would not re-start. After about an hour, it started up again, I added more gas(although again, it had 1/4 tank in it already) and has not cut off again.

Does anyone had any similar experiences? I took it up to the Chevy dealer today, and they said it sounds like the cadillac converter(which is still under warranty), but I don't have appointment until next week for them to run diagnostics on it to be sure of the actual problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and my check engine light has not come on one time as of yet.
I feel your pain brother
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Deceased

to the forum jamiejess1!

I have my doubts about it being a bad catalytic converter, my money would be on a failing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or the ECM(Engine Control Module), but the lack of a CEL is odd.

You can take to your local auto parts store to have them read the codes for you, most places do it for free, just make sure they only read the codes....not read and clear them, you want any stored malfunction history to remain.

If you do have your codes pulled, post them up here and we can try to give you an idea of what might be going on before you get to the dealer.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Going to have codes read tomorrow... we'll see if anything appears. I also thought it had something to do with the fuel... if it is the pump, at least I'm still under warranty for that as well.

I originally thought it was maybe low transmission fluid, as I had a Deville a couple years back, with the same symptoms, & it was out of trans fluid.. refilled it, & no more problems. But, with the HHR, you cannot check the fluid level on your own, as it's under the car... maybe the dealership will check that as well when I go for the diagnostics?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM

OK, went to O'Reilly's & there were no codes, but the guy said that their machine only reads current codes, and had their been any past codes, that his machine would not read it?

Originally Posted by 843de
to the forum jamiejess1!

I have my doubts about it being a bad catalytic converter, my money would be on a failing fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or the ECM(Engine Control Module), but the lack of a CEL is odd.

You can take to your local auto parts store to have them read the codes for you, most places do it for free, just make sure they only read the codes....not read and clear them, you want any stored malfunction history to remain.

If you do have your codes pulled, post them up here and we can try to give you an idea of what might be going on before you get to the dealer.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 PM

I seen this on the forum before....ended up being a cam position sensor, or crank position sensor i think. also check all the fuses to see if they are loose. and does your key ring have a bunch of stuff on it? that was another one i seen, where the extra weight was actually pulling the keys...just a few thoughts
Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 AM

I don't think automakers have put a fuel pressure sender in their diagnostics systems yet. It would be handy to have. I seems that it could be a fuel pump problem. The pickup might suck air when the level is low. The pumps usually last 100K miles but I have seen shorter life for owners who drive with low fuel levels. The fuel cools the pump so running below 1/4 tank doesn't provide much cooling.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Deceased

You're correct Don, no fuel pressure or fuel pump diagnostic codes are either generated or stored with OBD II.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

@jamiejess1, when do you get your vehicle into the dealership this week? Please, let me know how things go with your visit.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 AM

It went in on Wed. It was the throttle body in the carburetor. Thankfully, it was still under the 80/8yr emissions warranty, so the part was covered. Also had a very dirty air filter, which they also replaced. It is back running good again... actually has pick-up again

Quick Reply: 08 HHR Acceleration/Cut-Off Problems??