Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

1 Rear seat wet...soaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM

1 Rear seat wet...soaking

Ok recently I had a 2 gallon water jug on the back of one seat for a outing. Well we didnt use it but on the way back my bicycle busted it open. Now just one seat is wet. Thing is I didnt notice it until my window started to fog up recently. Is there anyway to dry it out and get rid of the damp smell in it? Or will this be total replacement?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

is it still wet? use a wet/dry shop vac, keep windows open and Febreeze the hell out of it lol
Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Yeah its still wet. I have a towel on it with books right now. Wet/vac is an hour away at my other house. Windows open. I was wondering if baking soda would help.....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I would suggest removing the seat and putting it out in the sun for a few days. Also, I'll bet some of that water made it to the carpet, so you'll need to pull that up to let the air get under it to dry.

It's a lot of work, but I can just about guarantee it won't dry out without doing this.
Just went through this with wet carpet on my Dodge truck. 6 months of trying to air it out and vacuum a very small wet area. Never would dry out completely.
I finally pulled the seats and carpet to do the job right.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

im not sure if the baking soda will stick/stain the seat and be very hard to remove.
or buy a lot of dry/uncooked rice and pour it everywhere haha

but seriously, get the shopvac going, remove the seats if you can and leave them out to dry, and like firemangeorge said, check the carpets also!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM

I would try a small electric heater set on low and keep the windows down.
Don't leave it unattended.

Boydie

Originally Posted by carajean
Yeah its still wet. I have a towel on it with books right now. Wet/vac is an hour away at my other house. Windows open. I was wondering if baking soda would help.....
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM

I will try the shop vac and heater this weekend. I may even be able to take the seat out this weekend as I pick up a brand new set of craftsmen Thursday or Friday :)

Also I was reading about this stuff called Microban?? Other said it worked for them just not sure.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Yep, Take seat out and let dry. Also the carpet. I deal with mold at work daily and you dont want that to set in. If you dont have a wet vac you could also use a hair dryer on low settings. Just remember to constantly move the hair dryer to avoid damage to seat. Air is the key to drying wet fabric. Good Luck
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM

Yeah I just gotta find a tutorial on taking the seat out. Wonder if I can just take the back carpet out.....
Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Deceased

If memory serves me right, the carpet is all one piece. But the wet/dry vac and parking it with the windows cracked in the sun, will pretty much dry things out in a day or two.

Be super careful applying heat, the carpets are nylon based and you can melt the fibers easily if you're not cautious.

Quick Reply: 1 Rear seat wet...soaking