Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Red face 2 questions

how on earth do you search for a topic on this forum? second my air conditner will no longer blow cold air? I did hear a hissing nose when i turned it on yesterday. I should mention i dont even know where to begin to look, but im great at following directions. my temp gage on coolant seems to be ok and no check engine lights on. could it be i need to add some sort of coolant to the air system? old days we use to call it freon may still be called the same thing. thank you for reading this, i love this website
Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum.
Regarding the AC: From reading your post, I assume by your description that you may not be a automotive do-it-yourselfer.
Not trying to sound mean, but I would advise taking it to a professional AC repair shop.
Modern AC systems are more complicated than some of the older ones.
And yes, they still have freon in them. Just not R12 freon like the good ole days.
The "hissing" noise when turned on is a red flag. If you have a major leak in the system: 1. The leak will need repairing. 2. The system will need to be evacuated and vacuum pulled. 3. The system will then need recharging and rechecking of entire system for additional problems.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by REDSTU1
how on earth do you search for a topic on this forum?
... by clicking on the SEARCH button near the top of the page (right-hand side, on the second brown bar)...... entering what it is you want to search for in the drop-downbox, and clicking on the 'GO" button. Can't be easier.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Welcome REDSTU1, I get mixed results with the search feature, probably need some training. Try wording it different if you don't find what you are lookin fo.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Deceased

to the forum REDSTU1!

To second what George said in post #2, have it checked out by an A/C shop or your dealer. The hissing may be a major leak, or a minor problem, a professional can make a fairly quick determination for you.

And whopper summed up the "Search" function pretty well, what takes time and practice is narrowing down your search terms, that's an art that's not easy to teach.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM

thank you

i really appreciate your replies. I am on a very low income. I guess I will start by seeing if I can find a local mancanic to look at it to narrow things down, I sure hope it isnt expensive to fix, I live in Michigan so I love the cold, so summer time I always have the air on lol.

not too long ago I came to the forum and was able to find out that my key fob needed to be saudered at the 3points to get it to work again. I was so blessed when I walked into a repair shop and they fixed it for me for free. this forum has helped me alot. thank you everyone
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Welcome REDSTU1 !!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Deceased

There are a couple things you can check yourself, start your HHR and open the hood, have someone engage the A/C and see if the cooling fan is running. If the fan doesn't start, you may have a low system pressure that's keeping the A/C from starting, or a failing engine temperature sensor that's telling the computer not to engage the A/C.

How is your coolant readout on the DIC and temperature gauge looking, are they reading normally or are you getting "--" on the DIC and a gauge stuck on cold. Also check your coolant level in the recovery tank behind the radiator, if you're low on coolant, the engine temperature can be out of range preventing the A/C from engaging.

Lastly, you can check for A/C compressor engagement by looking under your HHR. The compressor is located on the front of the engine down low, its under the alternator, you can see it if you squirm under the right front corner. With the engine running, the transmission in park(or neutral if its a 5-speed), the parking brake set, and the wheels blocked, have your assistant push the A/C button. If the compressor is engaging you'll hear a "click" and the end of the compressor pulley will start to rotate. The compressor is the lowest pulley in the diagram.

This is a "look don't touch" area, keep your hands away from all the pulleys while the engine is running.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Would it be a bad idea, if after i check all the good suggestions above, if i was to refill the freon? i saw a kit that has the hose pluse a can of stop leak. also im not sure if i go to auto parts store what to look for. please understand i am gong to look at all the above mentioned stuff first. thank you so much
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

First...RedStu1, WELCOME

The new DIY freon cans sound like a blessing BUT, and I don't know if the HHR's have the same system, my son-in-law, just recently, attempted to add freon to his pristine Aurora (got it from me, some time ago) and blew out the compressor seals....or some such. Anyhow the repair was $1200. He just had low engine coolant.

So, my advise is not to attempt to add freon unless you are absolutely sure it needs freon. And remember, these cars take a very minimal amount.