Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2 year problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

2 year problem

I LOVE my HHR. Bought it new in 2010 and a year into service it started making a ticking noise in the front end. Now, nearly 2 years later it is still doing this and every time I take it back to the GM dealer here it comes back worse. It has escalated to more a whirring sound, which often can be heard as soon as you turn the key, and as you accelerate it gets worse, but if you take your foot off the excelerator it will stop, when you press again it will start. Sitting still if you rev the engine its not so bad, but driving it will make it louder til it nearly screams. This is driving me up a wall, I absolutely love this car and its getting so that GM is as frustrated with me as I am with them. I do not intend to "learn to live with it - they all do it" as one arrogant GM rep said to me recently. Has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone offer any help? Thanks so much.

PS Does anyone know why they discontinued making this little car?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM

Welcome to the site. Noises are fairly difficult to figure out over the internet but I will throw out a guess or two.

The first place mine mind when was an exhaust leak from the flex pipe. I would guess that someone has looked at that by now. My second guess would be this tsb that does specify your year of hhr.

#PI0085: Itch/Creak Noise from Right Side of Instrument Panel - (Mar 31, 2010)

Subject: Itch/Creak Noise from Right Side of Instrument Panel

Models: 2010 Chevrolet HHR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment about a itch/creak noise coming from the right side of the instrument panel. This noise is usually heard when the vehicle body is under load (accelerating, braking or sharp turns). This noise may be caused by a loading condition between the instrument panel tie bar mounting bracket and the inner hinge pillar.

Recommendation/Instructions
Have the customer describe what driving condition creates the noise (turning, accelerating or braking). Use the following steps to tighten the instrument panel tie bar fasteners. If the concern is still present, use the additional steps to revise the instrument panel tie bar mounting bracket.

Note: On sunroof equipped vehicles, use care to not damage the drain tube located in the repair area.

Remove the right instrument panel outer trim cover. Use a plastic trim tool to release the retainers.

Locate the two tie bar mounting bolts and loosen them (do not remove the bolts), then tighten the bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the mounting bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Road test the vehicle. Apply hard acceleration followed by hard stops to verify that the customer's concern is corrected. If the concern is corrected, proceed to step #8. If the concern is not corrected, proceed to step #4.

Locate the tie bar mounting bracket that is welded to the inner hinge pillar (the bracket is outboard of the mounting bolt area and cannot be seen in the photo). Remove the two tie bar mounting bolts.

Insert a large screwdriver between the bracket and the hinge pillar as shown. Use a hammer on the screwdriver to create a gap between the bracket and the inner hinge pillar.
Reinstall the two bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Road test the vehicle. Apply hard acceleration followed by hard stops to verify that the customer's concern is corrected.
Reinstall the right instrument panel outer trim cover.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM

It's not clear; does it click while idling, or only when moving? In gear or out?

I will take a stab that the air cleaner bracket could be broken.
Could be noisy injectors.
Could be noisy valve train, including the chain guides.

Since I'm a long way away from you, that's about all I can do. Has anybody thought to get a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the exact area, they can be had for less than $5 at auto parts and tool stores.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM

They quit making it because they went bankrupt and had to pare down low profit centers.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM

I forgot about the air cleaner bracket. That's a good one
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Might I suggest a different dealer?
Your current one either doesn't care or know how to deal with this.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Banned

They have told me that to take it to anyone else will cancel my warranty. I have asked why they havent sent it to another GM dealer and cannot get an answer. I have a file inches thick of invoices from them, (no charge for what they have done so far). A week or so ago the noise was so loud (loud enough that I am concerned something will eventually break down) and they sent a GM rep to drive it and he gave me the same song and dance I have heard for 2 years - learn to live with it they all do it. I have had countless people drive my car and they all can hear it but for some reason the dealership here cannot. Its maddening. Such a wonderful little car. A year left and its paid for, and they have tried so hard for me to turn it in and go into debt for another car. I have made it clear I have no intentions of bringing it back.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

If you take it to another GM dealer, it will not void your warranty.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
They quit making it because they went bankrupt and had to pare down low profit centers.
Its good to know it wasnt because they were lemons. I think this is the cutest most comfortable small car I have ever driven.In the beginning it was SO quiet you had to turn the radio off and strain to hear if it was even running. Now, the tick, or click, whatever you want to call it, is so loud and annoying its really frustrating.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LawDog88
If you take it to another GM dealer, it will not void your warranty.
I was told some months ago if I want it sent to another GM dealer I have to do it myself.

Quick Reply: 2 year problem