Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 2.2 Hard Shifting (no cam sensors on my engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 AM

2006 2.2 Hard Shifting (no cam sensors on my engine)

Good Morning All, I've been through the number or threads for the Cam sensors for fixes. My 2.2 does not have these sensors.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I did just realize that when I'm off the gas, and have a long right hand turn, the speedo drops down a couple times, and then on comes the TC Light and the hard shifting. It almost stalled because it seemed that the torque converter was locked up. Turn the car off and next day, no problems.

Sorry to bring up this sore subject, but all I keep seeing is the cam sensors that my engine doesn't have.

The most frustrating part is every time it happens, the dealership is closed.

The one time my wife took it there when it was doing it, the service writer turned it off before driving it. So it fixed itself before he could even know what was going on. No codes thrown.

Thank you in advance
Matt
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 AM

I bought the car brand new, love it, but this is making me go crazy.....
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Deceased

Well Matt, I hate to say it, but this is one of those cases where you're going to need either the dealer or a good independent tech with a Tech II scan tool to check for stored codes relating to the transmission.

While auto parts stores can "pull the codes" for free, most of them do not have scan tools that will be able to access any stored transmission related trouble codes.

You didn't mention how many miles you have on your HHR and if the transmission has ever been serviced. GM calls for a fluid and filter change and 100,000 miles in normal driving conditions. If you've never had it serviced, that may be a good place to start, but with one important caveat.

There are times when servicing a transmission that is overdue for service, or one that's acting up, will cause complete transmission failure shortly thereafter. On the surface of it, your symptoms do sound like a TCC solenoid that's hanging up and not letting the torque converter unlock, but there are more than a few other conditions that can cause rough shifting and illumination of the T/C light including possible problems with the TCM(Transmission Control Module).
Old 04-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Thank you,

I have about 120k on it. This happened at about 85k once, then after I turned it off, and back on it went away.

I had the transmission fluid changed by the stealership at about 90k. Had Transmission fluid leaking all over the place and had to immediately take it back. They didn't tighten something down.

I mistook the T/C light for the Lock light. I don't have ABS on my 06.

Here is the kicker, I had it checked and the only code they could pull was the Mass Flow Sensor, which I had them change out. (now I wonder if it was even done...) And not to long ago my wife took it to the Stealership and it didn't pull any codes.

I just did the transmission fluid level check/serpentine belt, Washed my K/N filter, and did some carb cleaner in the throttle body.

On the fluid level, I had it up on the jacks, running up to good temp, (had to add some antifreeze to get rid of the sloshing noise) when I pulled the plug, about a quart of fluid came out. So I thought that might be the problem.

Not so lucky, just ran to the store and off the gas, turn right to get on the highway and on came the lock light (farthest left warning light). No hard shifting, but about half the time that lock light is the predecessor to the hard shifting.

Like I said, I love the car, but holly crap this is getting frustrating. And I'm moving from Memphis to Alameda CA (Coast Guard) early June. Should make for a fun trip!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM

I may have found it. Now to finish reading the thread. But this is spot on!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/need-help-diagnosing-problems-2006-lt-auto-29224/

Now to find pictures of exactly where this plug is. I just went to look, and well, nothing stood out to me.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM

Ok, so after reading the thread I just pasted.

I had my wife in the car, e-break on, foot on the break and in drive (yes, I like to live dangerously. Not that I stood in front of the car like this, but with my wife behind the wheel).

I moved the wiring harness around and when I pushed it into the head where it looks like it's been sitting/rubbing the light came on. Shut it down, zip tied it over and now we wait and see if it fixes it.

I'm praying!!!!

(guess I need to make some more posts before I can upload my images, sorry)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Go to the auto parts store and pick up a tiny pack of "dielectric compound/grease". Then disconnect the connector halves and apply some of the grease to the pins, reconnect.