Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 SS starter spins with ket in run pos

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:44 PM

2008 SS starter spins with ket in run pos

Hi, new guy here with a question maybe someone can answer. I looked at an 08 SS yesterday that a buddy has on his car lot, he has had it for some time now and was getting it ready for resale, anyway one day they got in to move it and as soon as the key was turned to run pos the starter spins and stays spinning even before turned to start pos they have looked at wiring ,changed the ecm,had fobs reprogrammed and various other things and still does same thing. If you pull the relay in fuse box under hood the starter stops spinning and runs fine, turn key to run put relay in it starts and you pull relay and stays running and starter stops spinning. Any ideas? I can buy it really cheap as hes tired of messing with it very clean needs some tlc and some maintenance items (tires ,brakes maybe control arm bushings) any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the ignition switch is bad. I would check to see if the recall work was done regarding the ignition switch/key cylinder replacement. If the recall wasn't done, then get GM to do the fix for free.

There's a slim chance the starter solenoid could be sticking. Can't figure why they would try doing all that other work that doesn't really have anything to do with the actual problem.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 PM

He changed starter, and I think switch as well I cant pass on it for the price just looking for ideas Ill run the vin and check on recalls thnx
Old 10-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Technical Moderator

Why hasn't anybody thought of the ignition switch?

For the record; the key switch sends a signal to the BCM telling it to turn the starter on, until the motor starts or it times out. Yopu are supposed to turn the key to start and let go of it. If the starter spins it is because the BCM is getting a signal from the key switch.

It is a lot more complicated than it used to be.

I guess the CRNK relay could be stuck. #34 under hood. Except that would not be dependent on the key being in run, it is hot at all times.

The only way it is possible is that somebody reversed some wires so that the RUN/CRNK relay is commanding the starter instead of the CRNK relay. That would take switching terminals #54 & # 57 on the ECM, maybe the 2 could touch.

Has anyone checked the recall status? https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Thank you for the help, I ran serial number on link you posted but says no recalls at this time. I will probably bring it home in next couple days and now I have a few things to start to check.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe the switch wiring got messed with.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 AM

On a side note, I know Don has mentioned to me before, but I really have been making an effort to try and "properly" start Gregg by turning to start and letting go, and he starts in less than a second, seemingly quicker than when I held it forward longer. Last time he mentioned this method I got spooked out of it because the first time I tried to do it I didnt turn the key fully forward and Gregg kind of "half started" and died. But so far after a couple weeks of trying its been working great!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Thnx for the wiring diagram I will start going through that and track down the problem