Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2010 HHR 2.2 bad oil leak possibly from timing tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM

2010 HHR 2.2 bad oil leak possibly from timing tensioner?

Hi everyone I have a 2010 hhr lt 2.2 ecotec vvt I noticed over the weekend it had suddenly ran very low on oil just hardly on end of the dipstick. Could not see at that time any leaks (winter here and snow melting made everything wet) I noticed while at work on break it was leaking at a pretty steady rate only while running. After pulling the passenger tire off and getting the plastic engine cover out of the way I was able to see it was leaking from the rear of the motor just under the valve cover and flowing down. The car had the timing chain etc.. replaced back in November and has been fine since the change was due to bad cam phasers so did it all in one shot being it had 175k at that point. I cleaned things up and it appears to be leaking from the timing chain tensioner despite it being tight still valve cover gasket area is dry as a bone has anyone ever heard of this?? My dad said it is possible just a bad/cheap seal just thought I would get a few more opinions I trust the old man having he's been a certified tech for 40+ years but before messing with things wanted to see what others thought. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, funny I just was under my 2007 2.2 yesterday , I replaced the balancer crankshaft seal on the front cover, while in there , I inspected all points of possible oil leakage, the front cover is snug, the little cover over the water pump , those 4 bolts were snug , I looked at the tensioner and it was oily but not the source, neither was my valve cover gasket.
Dan washed the engine down , so we’re going to wait and drive the HHR a day or 2 and double check, but the area around that front cover seal was wet with oil , but not dripping, kinda slung out and spattered.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM

This leak threw me a bit as well when I seen it was not the timing cover or any of the gaskets there and was coming from higher up I figured the valve cover gasket had gone bad or a bolt rattled loose alas no. I'm just puzzled the oil comes from right at the timing chain tensioner polls a bit right under it then flows down covering everything the car never once acted different or gave cause the oil was that low just left puddles no oil light and not sure if these motors are equipped with the low oil shutdown sensor or not. going to take the tensioner out check the gasket and tighten it back in and go from there.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I was about to suggest if you have the old tensioner, use that gasket, just to see.
my front cover seal was from Felpro, I’ve always had great results from Felpro products, but hey things happen!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM

There is no oil level sensing on the HHR, only oil pressure.

Steve
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Managed to get a small mechanics mirror behind the motor while it was running and my dad confirmed was leaking from bottom of tensioner sadly old one got tossed out local parts store's do not carry just the seal so ordered a whole new tensioner never hurts having a spare right? And good to know neither of us were for sure if had a level sensor or not so appreciate the input on that. We made the decision after about an hour to carefully run a thin bead of rtv around the seal careful to keep the hole in the tensioner clear and put it back together to just limp it until new one shows since cannot haul myself the wife and kids in my single cab truck. I appreciate all the input and glad to know the is a forum on this cars where others know them well and are happy to help. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Did you retract the tensioner when you removed it, and then release it AFTER you reinstalled it?

You are not supposed to install the tensioner extended.

Steve